• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Full hardtop and odd doors?

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I haven't ever seen any doors like that and looking at the top, I don't recognize that design either. The fiberglass does explain how they came up with the odd design though. I can't decide whether I like the doors or not. They are quite unique but for $600 I would have to be completely happy with them.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
yup...odd

To me...the doors really kinda look like some crack head full steel doors? If he didn't say they were fiberglass I would have thought they were just metal that had been "molded" like some hot rod guys do to smoothe out edges? Not really liking them.
But I do really like the top! Whis THAT was 600 bucks! Never seen it before...kinda looks world-cab ish!?!? I should figgure out how to send this to jscherb..wonder if he knows about it?

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
To me...the doors really kinda look like some crack head full steel doors? If he didn't say they were fiberglass I would have thought they were just metal that had been "molded" like some hot rod guys do to smoothe out edges? Not really liking them.
But I do really like the top! Whis THAT was 600 bucks! Never seen it before...kinda looks world-cab ish!?!? I should figgure out how to send this to jscherb..wonder if he knows about it?

I do now :).

Those doors must leak like crazy, there's no weatherstrip at all.

The doors seem to be of quality design and construction, so that crooked outer handle bezel must be an "owner adaptation" of some sort, looks pretty bad.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
heehee

jscherb! I was just pm-ing you...LOL! Had to swing back over to find the link to this oddball top and doors! heehee. So, have you ever seen this kind of top before either? Looks kinda worl cab-ish...?
Also, while your sorta here...
Would the GR8 top latches you used on Goucho work with a factory cab that has a cage (I just bought kohldad's....Yea ME! But right now it stays on with ratchet straps...:rolleyes:
But I think that is due to the windshield chanel.?.
Anyway, do the latches bolt all the way through the top or screw into it??
Thanks!...wanna build me a full top? One that shrinks and expands between full and half??:bow::bow::bow:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
jscherb! I was just pm-ing you...LOL! Had to swing back over to find the link to this oddball top and doors! heehee. So, have you ever seen this kind of top before either? Looks kinda worl cab-ish...?
Also, while your sorta here...
Would the GR8 top latches you used on Goucho work with a factory cab that has a cage (I just bought kohldad's....Yea ME! But right now it stays on with ratchet straps...:rolleyes:
But I think that is due to the windshield chanel.?.
I don't know how they would work - the Scrambler half-cab uses the metal strip to attach to the windshield, the hardtop I modified for the Gaucho was an early style CJ-7 polycarbonate top which has a different design that doesn't use the metal strip. Must be someone on this board that's done something though, maybe a search would turn up something.
Anyway, do the latches bolt all the way through the top or screw into it??
On the Gaucho top the polycarbonate is thick enough there and strong enough to just screw into without through bolts, but I'm not sure about the fiberglass Scrambler top - the fiberglass is more brittle than the polycarbonate, so it might be harder just to screw into it and have them stand up to abuse. Sorry, I just don't know.
Thanks!...wanna build me a full top? One that shrinks and expands between full and half??:bow::bow::bow:
You mean like the modular Safari Cab design I've been working on for the past few months? :)
AllCabsEdit1-1.jpg

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
The MAN...

Yes...that would be the top! Ahem!! Please! Is it ready...?
How 'bout now?
Now??
Ready yet?????:rotfl:
I really do like that modular idea...half and full all rolled into one dealEo! Wonder what the price would be...?
Any idea what is going on over at GR8tops? Someone here posted they can't get them to answer and its only and automated recording?
Thanks for the input about the latches...I may try something a little "outside" conventional thought as well...Need to get near it first!...:banghead:

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
Yes guys: That top on the lime green/black Scrambler on the Atlanta Craigs list. (No longer on list.) I have a guy here in Ojai that operates a Jeep tour out of Santa Barbara CA. He has a top exactly like that one. He said it had been made out of 2 CJ7 tops, but I don't think that is true because I have seen 2 others recently, and can see no evidence of splicing together.

As far as the doors go I have been trying to buy them from the guy for the last 2 weeks, He says we have a deal but he can't seem to get them packaged up for shipment to CA. I have been waiting for an answer from him and now he isn't returning phone calls.

I want those doors for my DeScrambler build which has an all fiberglass body. I can fix anything that is wrong with the latches and remove the ugly reinforcing plates. I will have to strip them and repaint them anyway.

I'm going to be pretty bummed if someone else from this site shows up with them.

The guy says me and him have a deal, so if you find him and he is willing to sell them to you, please ask, "well, what about Randy, don't you already have a deal with him?"

jsherb:: On another note I really like the lines of the top pictured above. Is that a mould to produce tops off? or is it a Wooden top? some more explaination please.

Do you have any plans for doors other than steel stock doors(like fiberglass)?.

Randy

Last edited:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
On another note I really like the lines of the top pictured above. Is that a mould to produce tops off? or is it a Wooden top? some more explaination please.

Do you have any plans for doors other than steel stock doors(like fiberglass)?.
That is a wooden master from which molds are being made. Once the molds are made (over the next two weeks), those molds will be used to produce fiberglass tops.

These tops may be made available commercially, but that's not decided yet.

BTW, the parts no longer look like wood, they've been finished in epoxy and buffed to a high finish for molding, here's what the roof panel now looks like:

RoofReady2-1.jpg

I am making a fiberglass rear "barn door" to go along with this top, but I have no plans to make driver/passenger doors, the factory ones work just fine and I don't think I could improve upon them :).

jeff

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
Jscherb: I don't fully understand,,, you're making multiple moulds, but no plans to sell product? Are you making them for one off personal use?

Seems like a lot of work for only one or a few parts. I have a friend who made a 36ft fishing boat mould, but he offset the cost by selling six hulls before the mould was toast.

I do want to say You do very nice work! and I mean that, You also keep a clean shop which I appreciate fully. If your finished top looks as good as the mould it will be very cool! I like the lines alot. Kind of Land Rover Defender lines

As far as the doors, I have a complete Fiberglass Jeep (except for the grill ) and I'm trying to keep it that way. All of the Jeeps I've had were fiberglass bodied, and I am a firm believer in that material. It does not rust, rot, or mildew. And can take much more abuse than steel bodies. also lighter.

I had considered actually making a top (Looking very similar to yours) But the amount of work is as much as my whole project, which has been considerable. Believe me. I've got 3 going on 4 years construction and 3 years design and parts procurement.

If I can't find doors that I like, I may end up building a set as a composite steel tube frame with a sheet fiberglass skin. I have always been partial to the VW Bus style of sliding window arraingement, where both pieces of glass move and are lockable, and I would include lower windows which come in handy when you are wheeling with the top on. My Jeep is rather tall (38" to bottom of door) and being able to monitor the side rails would be a good thing.

I'd like to have one of your tops but I don't think I could afford the shipping from Elmira to Ojai CA. Maybe I could come and get it!

Randy

Last edited:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Jscherb: I don't fully understand,,, you're making multiple moulds, but no plans to sell product? Are you making them for one off personal use?

Seems like a lot of work for only one or a few parts. I have a friend who made a 36ft fishing boat mould, but he offset the cost by selling six hulls before the mould was toast.
Randy,
That's correct, I'm making the molds for one-off (maybe two- or three-off) personal use. Yes it is a lot of time, but hey, everyone needs to have a hobby to keep themselves busy :).

There is a company that's approached me about using my masters to make their own molds to bring the tops to market, but the outcome is not certain at this point. Hard to say at this point whether the company will decide to go ahead or not.

But one thing's for certain - I'm not interested in going into the hardtop business myself. ;)
Jeff

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
You know I just had another thought,,,, Is your top going to be made in several pieces similar to the metal tops of old?

If the side peices could be made to bolt together, the top could be shipped knocked down, and assembled at the destination which would cut the shipping costs probably by 2/3's !

A 2x10ft pallet with everything attached on edge would be the way to go.

Shipping is the biggest issue in selling anything bulky like a body or top etc. It sometimes costs nearly as much as the product.

let me know about what your plans are on this. I can get a Rally top in LA which is 90 miles away, but I have to tell you I would rather have yours if we could figure out a reasonable cost and shipping.

From what I've heard this is the main problem GR8 tops is having with sales anywhere but the east coast. Shipping is killing them.

Let me knwo what you are doing with this. Email me direct,,, buchananprec@roadrunner.com

Randy

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
You know I just had another thought,,,, Is your top going to be made in several pieces similar to the metal tops of old?

If the side peices could be made to bolt together, the top could be shipped knocked down, and assembled at the destination which would cut the shipping costs probably by 2/3's !

A 2x10ft pallet with everything attached on edge would be the way to go.

Shipping is the biggest issue in selling anything bulky like a body or top etc. It sometimes costs nearly as much as the product.

let me know about what your plans are on this. I can get a Rally top in LA which is 90 miles away, but I have to tell you I would rather have yours if we could figure out a reasonable cost and shipping.

From what I've heard this is the main problem GR8 tops is having with sales anywhere but the east coast. Shipping is killing them.

Let me knwo what you are doing with this. Email me direct,,, buchananprec@roadrunner.com

Randy

Yes, it is a completely modular design; modules can be assembled in many different configurations including full and half cabs; and different lengths like full cabs for TJ/YJ/CJ or LJ or CJ-8, and multiple length half-cabs, like Scrambler length or Brute length. Here are some early concept drawings:

MoldMasterAssy-1.jpg

Components-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Anyone get the picture(s) off of the ad before it went down? Never seen/heard of full fiberglass doors and the comments have me curious about the top.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
No pictures

Sorry BW, I thought I saved pics of the top and doors but I guess not? If you can remember what the old CJ5 hard top doors from the 70s-80s aftermarket looked like..then take that image and throw up on it...well, there you go! Heehee.

Jscherb...Man, that finished master painted wood top is...Spectacular!!!!! ME LIKEY!! That turned out fantastic. And while I understand the desire to keep your hobby just a hobby...
Sigh...almost seems a shame. But between you just doing it for you, the costs involved with manufacturing/selling to a very limited groupe of customers, and the pathetic economy...I feel sad. And not a little bit teased! Heehee. Its a shame that we will likely never be allowed to enjoy the fruits of your labors. I think the idea of a Leggo/Erector set modular top is fantastic. Allows one to "customize" their Jeep as they wish and change it as the mood or need arises.
I prefer the secure, weather proof (ok, mostly secure and usually weather proof) full length scrambler tops. But when weather allows off it comes. But there are times that having a halfcab is nice. VERY cold days the HC warms up much faster and stays that way. Plus, I can carry stuff in back without suffering the elements myself...say, lumber to a jobsite or firewood.
And the greatest triumph of all for the "modular" system is storing it. The full top is a real bear to lift off and find a place to stash it when not in use. But a handful of panels...? Man, THATS the ticket! Moving from Army base to Army base as a Single soldier I always get kinda shafted when it comes to my Jeep hobby. No place to store my parts and projects...let alone a full hardtop! So I usually end up renting, on my dime, a storage place somewhere near post...
I do have one question about how the tops work. Based off your exploded view and knowing that some jeeps interchange a little bit. How close are the tops to relating from one to another jeep models. IE, CJ to TJ etc...? To be more specific, The very top portion, not sure what that would be specifically called...Its (G) in the illistration...do the remain the same and then part (F) acts as an adapter? Not sure if that makes any sense? But what I'm getting at is could just one version of (G) be made and several versions of (F) to cut down on a manufacturer needing to make multiple very similar parts?

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I do have one question about how the tops work. Based off your exploded view and knowing that some jeeps interchange a little bit. How close are the tops to relating from one to another jeep models. IE, CJ to TJ etc...? To be more specific, The very top portion, not sure what that would be specifically called...Its (G) in the illistration...do the remain the same and then part (F) acts as an adapter? Not sure if that makes any sense? But what I'm getting at is could just one version of (G) be made and several versions of (F) to cut down on a manufacturer needing to make multiple very similar parts?
The roof panel is specific to either the TJ or the CY/YJ because of the differences in how the roof must attach to the windshield. The roof molds are the same for all models, but there is a windshield header part that gets bonded in after molding which makes the finished roof model-specific.

There are also slight differences in the door surrounds (a) because of minor differences in the shape of the TJ doors vs the CJ/YJ doors. Other than that the parts are interchangeable between models.

Jeff

PS: The full build thread for these tops is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/safari-cab-custom-hardtop-project-952157/

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
differences...

Ah...ok. I was kinda wondering if maybe the silly screw down attachment method of the CJ couldn't be upgraded to a latching method and then run the All models top with CJ sides for the hard doors..?

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Ah...ok. I was kinda wondering if maybe the silly screw down attachment method of the CJ couldn't be upgraded to a latching method and then run the All models top with CJ sides for the hard doors..?

My design does use a TJ-style latching method for the CJ/YJ tops, but unfortunately due to the differences between the TJ windshield and the CJ/YJ windshield, a different header piece is necessary to ensure a completely weatherproof seal.

It is possible to mold the side panels so they'll fit both TJ and CJ/YJ doors and seal well, but I've chosen to make them more custom-fit to each door style. The mold masters I've built can be used to build either the universal door surrounds or surrounds that are custom-fit for the particular Jeep model's door.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Makes sense...

Being a novice to things of this level I bow to your advanced wisdom sir! LOL! I'd like one...heehee, just don't know if I could afford one. How much for the wooden version?:D Maybe you could work on a "hard" tonneu cover at some point too?:thumbsup: