Full hardtop question

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
This is dumb question...but I've never had or payed any attention to how a full hard top mounts on Scrambler.

Specifically does it bolt from underneath bed rails ......or mount with clamps like a truck bed cap?

Or are the different brands attach differently?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
My ACME brand attaches under the rails. You do have to drill into the inside of the windshield frame though to give the front of the top something to attach to.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
full top

I sorta figured that the hardtops mount like the factory 1/2 top from underneath the bed rails.

Just no way around drilling.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
You can use a clamp like the Pick Up Trucks use for those toppers.

The factory CJ-7 has holes drilled strategically for the hols in the top of the rail. The aftermarket top not always. A lot depends on how the top was made. Some have a continuous ledge that will sit on top of the bed rim, and have hols in the fiberglass at the same point as holes in the bed edge.

The top that I have has several 4" long or so metal brackets that are bolted to the main top and then bolt to the tub. In those places you can use those Aluminum clamps to help hold it on. Those tops have so much weight that they tend not to move around anyway. If you want a little extra, put double sided sticky foam on the top and bed junction, it will give it more holding power.

Normally the front of the hard top mounts just like the factory hard top. They used to sue just sheet metal screws. I would suggest going to a Riv-nut insert instead. Lots more to grab and better threading. Sheet metal screws always seem to wallow out and come loose. I know it is not factory but I think that it is a better solution. Plus it you use the metal type you can take the edges to keep them from spinning. If you have a TIG then you can TIG a nut to the windshield frame, but then you will need to paint. It is a better more permanent solution but definitely not factory.

Here is a picture of the Topper clamp that I am thinking of.

6%20clamps.JPG

If you want to keep from scratching the top of the body put single sided foam tape on the bottom of the hard top ledge to protect the paint and cut down on wind noise.

Carl

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Mount like CJ-7

Thanks Carl,

So the Scrambler full tops mount like a CJ-7 top does ! :woot:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Thanks Carl,

So the Scrambler full tops mount like a CJ-7 top does ! :woot:

I'm sure you know there was no factory full hard top
I don't recall my ACME brand top having that metal strip that screws into the windshield frame the way the half hard or CJ-7top does

I will have to check it

There were a few different brands of full hard top though

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Mine does. In the front it is just like a CJ-7 top. In fact it looks like a factory rear door, but there are these basically "L" brackets used for the side to top of the body tub rail.

I am not sure what brand of top I have. It used to be Canzo's and before that was on Fernando's Jeep. But I am not sure who made it. Too bad because the glass in on of the side windows is broken and I have no idea where to get it. They look like those windows that are in Truck Caps, but I am not even sure how to start taking the glass out.

Carl

T-roy

Basic User
City
Alvin
State
TX
clamps

my ACME has clamps all around that catches the bed lip and clips on the wind shield, I will get some photos and post them they are killer little clamps. and a non slip adhesive works great. :cheers: