Full length hard top - inside rear clearance?

gpassida

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Hello,

My Scrambler refresh is progressing and I am looking down the road at possibly getting a full length hard top.

I'm watching for used ones but many seem to be pretty beat up. I'm also considering a new one from https://www.rallytops.com/shop/jeep-cj8-scrambler-hardtop/

I am a little concerned that my custom full cage may have clearance issues at the rear support. Check out the pics below. It does fit under an old Kayline full soft top but those bows raise the top up a few inches.

If you have a full length top on your Scrambler, can you get a measurement of the height off the bed surface to the top just inside the rear hatch? Let me know what brand hard top you have and that measurement. This would be a huge favor to me and help me determine if it will fit over my cage.

I can't measure the clearance I need right now because the cage and tub are in different places right now.

Thanks!
George
Scram1.png Scram2.png Scram3.png

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
It doesn't look like your cage is higher than your windshield. If this is the case, I think you will be fine. My Acme top actually rises up a bit in the rear. I don't currently have it on my Scrambler so I can't get measurements at the moment. But here is a pic to show you what I am talking about. Next time I am out at my storage garage I can take some measurements. Not sure when that will be though.
20171007_154234.jpg

gpassida

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Thanks for the pic Ron!

I was able to speak with Mike at Xtreme Tops. He makes the top for Rally Tops. I think that one and your Acme style will fit. The rear of my cage is just a bit shorter than the stock roll bar and the clearance for that is maintained all the way back or in your Acme type maybe even a bit more clearance there.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Thanks! How has the top worked out for you?
It's been great for the most part. I've got some fitment issues related to my doors, but I don't blame the top; I've got an Aqualu dash which is 1/8" thick, plus the 1/8" thick plate on the dash for my Rock-Hard front cage, which means I've got 1/4" less clearance at the dash location which has pushed my doors back about 1/8" too far. So the back of the door rubs the front of the opening for the door on the top.