• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

G. Washington N. Forest trail ride last weekend

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
Dodster and I met up this Sat morning with a couple of friends in TJs and went on a trail ride through part of the George Washington National Forest. We had a great time, took a mostly scenic route with several intermediate obstacles. I say mostly scenic, but it was pretty rocky, not just a gravel road. Especially that part where I bashed my nerf bar on a large rock! :eek: Oh, well, I guess it protected the tub, and that's what it's there for! Actually got a pretty good video of the bashing.

Dodd had to leave Sat evening, but we stayed behind and camped with some other friends of Dodd's, some very fine folks from Richmond that were up there in a Jeep Cherokee. Beautiful night, great campfire, great sleeping weather.

I would highly recommend for a future informal Scrambler get-together if any of you guys are into it. There are some extreme obstacles if you are looking for that, but the nice thing is that there are "go-arounds" for just about all the obstacles too, so you can pick and choose and ride up in a stocker, if you wanted.

Thanks for showing me around up there Dodd!

-Mike W

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
whereabouts is that exactly? I'm always on the lookout for new camping destinations...

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
It's almost right across the highway and up the mountain a bit from Oak Ridge, Va., where many guys will be coming for the fall run. I thought that you rode with us up there a little last year. We were in the same area but went on a much longer ride throughout the Forest. This would make a great pre-Oak Ridge trail ride if we could get up there early on Friday again this year. Oh, yeah, and since you've already paid for this with your tax money, there is no fee to ride the trails!!

-Mike W

Dodster

SOA Member
City
Mechanicsville
State
Va
You're welcome Mike

Mike - I'm glad you had a good time wheelin' and camping. Wish I could've stayed. Did you guys go on a night ride?? I really like night rides.

I have to take responsiblity for Mike's nerf bar bashing. I should've spotted him better. He spotted me through the same obstacle and I got through perfectly.

Eric - This is the area where we went the first day we arrived at Oak Ridge last fall. Remember me having to winch off that rock??

I go up there all the time. Anybody is welcome to come along anytime. Just drop me a line to see when I'm going. I will also give directions if anyone wants.

Dodd

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ok, that's what I thought, it's just that there are so many presidential NF up there that I can't keep them straight. I am working on a trip up there with some friends sometime this fall when the weather cools down.

I certainly remember getting you off that rock, how could I forget! :D

Thanks