• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gear contact pattern question.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am rebuilding a pair of Dana 44 axles right now. The front end is only getting new bearings and I am reusing the carrier and the old gears. I did not check the contact pattern when I took them out but I did check backlash and pinion depth plus I measured all the shims stacks. I put the new bearings on with the same thickness shims stacks. The pinion depth stayed the same but the backlash changed from .013 to .010. I am pretty sure the max should be .008 for backlash with new gears. I am guessing the .013 was due to wear over time. So I checked the contact pattern and found them to be a little off. The coast side looks to be in the middle but the drive side pushes a little towards the toe. Tell me what you think on these patterns. I was going to move a shim on the carrier to bring the gear closer to the pinion which I think will help with the contact pattern and tighten up the backlash a little but I thought with only a bearing change that I shouldn't have to make any adjustments. Opinions anyone?

B8C2E8E8-F7A3-4DE0-9CDB-8B0221B7AF62-11278-00000555F52BBC5D_zps73eaf2c8.jpg

6AD23459-7314-497D-81F1-ACDAE458F6A0-11278-00000555EDBFA905_zps718e771b.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I ran across a similar issue when I was messing with "Yard Scrambler".

New bearings "can" slightly change the settings, especially the back lash, IF the old parts had wear. But, it should fall into "spec", or you would think that it "should". But, the wear on the teeth will cause slightly different readings, compared to all new parts.

On mine, I was setting up used gears in a different housing with all new bearings. I had to start from scratch. I was able to nail down all the pinion settings and the carrier preload, no problem. I had "issues" with the back lash. I tried to get it set "perfect", and attempted all kinds of different side to side adjustments. I finally realized that there was no way I was going to get it "perfect", especially after I noticed the "not too perfect" wear pattern on the used ring and pinion:shrug:

Mine was on a front axle. with hubs, so i got it as good as I could, and I am just going to see what it does:thumbsup:

EDIT - I would at least try to move some shims, to see if you can change it. Also, check the wear on the ring gear teeth. If it was set up slightly "off" before, you probably wont be able to get it perfect. The wear on the teeth will affect the back lash. I set mine on the "hair too tight side":shrug::twocents:

Last edited:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
You are thinking the same as me with this issue. I figured the wear created the out of spec back lash and since the gears are already bedded to each other it might make more sence to keep them that way. Being on the front end it is not going to get as much use as the rear end nor the top speeds. I want to make a slight adjustment to the right and tighten up the backlash a hair then see what I get. The coast gears show the pattern right in the middle which leads me to believe that it should be fine. I wanted to get more eyes on it since I haven't set up gears in about ten years.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Link to "Yard Scrambler", the set up stuff starts around post #64:thumbsup:

https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?26968-New-To-Me-83-Parts-Needed/page5

I spent all day trying to get it set "perfect", and finally had to come to the realization that it would never be "perfect" due to the pre-existing wear.. I have finally got this Scrambler drivable, and I have put it in 4 wheel drive a few times already. I have not noticed any strange noises or vibrations, so I am thinking it is good to go:fingerscrossed:

I will lock in the hubs in the next day or two and get it up to some higher speeds to see how it does. But, I think the set up I did was as good as could be achieved with the "pre-wore in" ring and pinion:shrug:

I am no expert by any means, and I am hoping some other more experienced people will chime in. But, I believe you are on the right path :cheers:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I just read your thread and it sounds like the same deal as what I am going through. Thanks bud.