General Scrambler Questions

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Figured this would be a good place to compile some questions I had. Feel free to contribute.

1. Did all scramblers come with rocker trim moldings?

2. Did all Laredo models come with the "Laredo" glove box door decal?

3. Was it possible to get both clock/tach or get a clock only or a tach only in all trim models?

4. Did they in fact make a 1986 scrambler?

5. Did some select 82 or even 83 scramblers come with narrow track axles?

6. Did jeep ever etch the VIN's into the door windows?

7. Did scramblers come out of the factory with a rear bench?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Gonna take Jersey Jeeps or Jim's Chop Shop to get all those questions. Not all Scrambler had the side trim mouldings. That's the easy one. I thought the Laredo plaque on the glove box was part of the Laredo package. I think clock and tach always come together, but it might have been possible for a dealer to add one. Very doubtful any Scramblers were Made in 1986 . . . but a few 85 may have been Sold in 86. Narrow track went away in 82 for the wide track. If any narrow ones were carried over the frame would have been carried over, too. Don't think that would have happened but I'm no expert on that. Never heard of etching vins in glass. Rear bench seat? Maybe exports. Now maybe the real experts can jump in and add to this.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
1. Did all scramblers come with rocker trim moldings? No, it depended on options and trim level.

2. Did all Laredo models come with the "Laredo" glove box door decal? I'm not sure. I've only seen a few Scramblers with it and it may have been added by the owner.

3. Was it possible to get both clock/tach or get a clock only or a tach only in all trim models? As far as I know, the clock and tach only came together from the factory. Typically SL models got both, SR models could go either way and Base models didn't get them however, there are always exceptions to this. It is AMC after all.

4. Did they in fact make a 1986 scrambler? I have yet to see a VIN that can confirm this. More likely late '85's that were sold/licensed in '86.

5. Did some select 82 or even 83 scramblers come with narrow track axles? '81 was the last year for the narrow trac axle. Very early '82's might have them but the vast majority were wide trac.

6. Did jeep ever etch the VIN's into the door windows? Not that I've ever heard of or seen.

7. Did scramblers come out of the factory with a rear bench? Only export models. However, they did come with the holes and captured nuts in the body to add one. Some may have been dealer added.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
As with AMC, you could order a Jeep with about any combination of options you could imagine. You could get a base model CJ with a clock and tach. My '85 CJ7 is a base model and original came as a soft top only Jeep (no doors strikers installed or door limiting strap brackets mounted on the inside of the tub at the lower hinge), PS, PB, and the clock and tach.

I believe Buffy on here has a confirmed '86 CJ8 with a pretty unusual history, it was but for export or something along those lines.

Last edited:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
I'll also confirm that loaded base-model CJ-7s were produced. The '85 my father bought new had: power steering, power brakes, smoker's package, tach/clock, tilt column, hard top/doors, T5, 258, both seats tilted, fold & tumble rear, cassette stereo. The only thing it seems to have been missing was the factory wiper delay.