• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Giving it a Jolt

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Need some advice from the crowd. I am going to separate the tranny from the motor this weekend. Due to bad planning, I need to drop the transmission vs pull the motor (will set this up slightly different next time).

Since I don’t have a lift, my plan is to remove the driveshafts, unbolt the tranny from the bell housing, unbolt the crossmember and lower the transmission. My thought is that it will be easier to maneuver the transmission under the Jeep without the bell housing attached.

Thoughts from the experienced crowd? Should I support the transmission and separate it from the crossmember before lower the transmission? Any other suggestions?I’ve never done this before.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Need some advice from the crowd. I am going to separate the tranny from the motor this weekend. Due to bad planning, I need to drop the transmission vs pull the motor (will set this up slightly different next time).

Since I don’t have a lift, my plan is to remove the driveshafts, unbolt the tranny from the bell housing, unbolt the crossmember and lower the transmission. My thought is that it will be easier to maneuver the transmission under the Jeep without the bell housing attached.

Thoughts from the experienced crowd? Should I support the transmission and separate it from the crossmember before lower the transmission? Any other suggestions?I’ve never done this before.
I find it easier to leave the bell housing bolted to the engine.

Use a transmission jack and securely fasten/strap the transmission/transfer case to the jack. That stuff is heavy and you won't be able to really manhandle that stuff laying under the Jeep.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Thanks, I suppose you would suggest removing the crossmember first, not lowering the tranny with the crossmember attached.

I guess I should replace the transmission mount. Any suggestions on a kit to buy that has all the bolts? I want to get this all done over the weekend and my local fastener place isn’t open on the weekend.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Yes, remove the skid plate first :thumbsup:

I have been using Energy Suspension polyurethane transmission/torque arm mounts with no problems.

I can't remember the bolt sizes off hand, the metal mount to bottom of transmission/top of mount are common 7/16" course thread IIRC. They are short, like 1-1.5". One has a nut on it. The torque arm takes a small fine thread nut on the bottom, maybe 5/16" or 3/8". Might not be a bad idea to buy a new torque arm stud if your current one is bent or damaged.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I had to drop the trans on my Fummins a few times for various reasons after I had it running and I chose to separate it from the bellhousing. For one, the top bellhousing bolts were a pain to reach, and 4 easy to reach bolts was simple. To help with things, I bought two long bolts of the same size, cut the heads off, and put them in for the top two transmission bolts and this served as guides to walk the input out (and back in) to the clutch when removing. I found it much easier to stab the trans back in using the guide bolts on the bellhousing versus hunting with the bellhousing attached to the trans. One word of caution, don't forget about the throwout!

To each their own though.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Auto or manual trans.

I first support the transmission with a jack. Then remove the skid plate. Then remove the transfer case. Then pull the transmission. Doing one at a time, I can generally man handle each without the use of a jack. I have not pulled an auto yet, so I think that one would need to stay on the transmission jack while being removed. I use a trans jack I got at harbor freight years ago. (I also use it for dropping gas tanks too.)

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have used that same jack multiple times with success.

Auto or manual trans.

I first support the transmission with a jack. Then remove the skid plate. Then remove the transfer case. Then pull the transmission. Doing one at a time, I can generally man handle each without the use of a jack. I have not pulled an auto yet, so I think that one would need to stay on the transmission jack while being removed. I use a trans jack I got at harbor freight years ago. (I also use it for dropping gas tanks too.)

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Despite all my efforts, I can’t get the shifter off. The nubs won’t depress and the female part won’t move on the male part. I need to do this because I can’t lower the transmission enough to clear the full height of the shifter. How much trouble do I get into if I unbolt the plate that the shifter goes into the body? Will that release the shifter?

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Despite all my efforts, I can’t get the shifter off. The nubs won’t depress and the female part won’t move on the male part. I need to do this because I can’t lower the transmission enough to clear the full height of the shifter. How much trouble do I get into if I unbolt the plate that the shifter goes into the body? Will that release the shifter?
Ignore this, I worked it out.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
This is a better sound. Throw out bearing was all wonky. I think I am going to run in 3rd and just switch forward/reverse with a switch.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC

Go to post 318, it's NAPA's grazable TO bearing........It'd be so cool to have "multiple" gear selection. You've gone this far.........

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I think the spring is the problem.

9697BAE8-8291-4CAA-B5C6-6E96924B79B9.jpeg

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I couldn’t find a replacement clutch fork spring so I used a little heat to fix the one I had. It took awhile to get from point a to point b but not a bad days work considering I had to drop the transmission, find a new mount and get it all back together. First time and on a rock driveway. Ouch.

I did keep the shifter. Checked 2nd, 3rd and reverse.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
This is going to be so sweet!

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Successful test drive(s) today. It was a little sluggish at first but I updated the throttle mapping and was MUCH better. It’s pretty surreal to drive. So quiet except for the creaks and squeaks of a 40 year old Jeep. I have some buttoning up to do before inspection but pretty chuffed with myself, I must admit. Pictures and videos to come.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Can't wait to see this...

To help with things, I bought two long bolts of the same size, cut the heads off, and put them in for the top two transmission bolts and this served as guides to walk the input out (and back in) to the clutch when removing. I found it much easier to stab the trans back in using the guide bolts on the bellhousing versus hunting with the bellhousing attached to the trans.
Just FWIW, that same thing works great for a trans with the bellhousing. I grind down the head end a little to make it even easier to get started because I don't have a trans jack, I am the trans jack :smokin: Awesome trick with either version and I've done it for a few different things that have multiple mounting holes that are difficult to line up.

Those trans bolt/studs have a special place in my tool drawer and have served me very well :cheers:

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I took EJ-8 to an EV car show today. Nestled in with the Rivians, Teslas and Lightning’s, it got plenty of attention. I got a whole range of comments from “why” to “wicked” to my favorite “Are you the dealer rep?”.

My favorite was the Rivian, oddest was the Tesla with a snowplow. (Not sure why the first picture is askew by 90 degrees)z

Jeep CJ Scrambler EV Conversion Retrospective_ Episode 1 - Intro to the Project.jpg
44262D5D-FF12-4B0D-8619-C624F99B04B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That Tesla brings to mind the old Aussie expression 'as useful as sh*t on a shoe" (or the American 'tits on a boar')

I drove a Rivian a while back at a demonstration in Fort Meyers I really didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure why they had to make it so different from driving a conventional car, but it would take me some time to get comfortable driving it. I like the idea of the lightning better: a conventional car with an electric motor; like the EJ-8.