• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

GM Electric Conversion Package

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have been following the electric conversion thread here with interest. The idea of an electric Scrambler has been on my mind since seeing Jeep’s release of the 4XE Wrangler. I can’t think of a more perfect “Errand Runner”. And this morning I saw this on my MT feed! It was published Nov 2, so this might be old news. But it was new to me so I thought I’d share. The last paragraph is the most exciting- “Performance conversion options will be coming”!

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/chevy-has-built-an-electric-1977-k5-blazer
1607278255274.jpeg1607278199318.jpeg
1607278225627.jpeg

The optimist in me is thinking a crate package that will make make it as easy to go electric as a typical LS swap. Hopefully they won’t kill the deal with prices that are astronomical. If they can keep a performance option around 10K it might be worthwhile!

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Unfortunately, the major cost component is batteries. To get a sub $10k price, you would have such a small battery pack that the range would be in the double digits (at best).

The conversion of my electric club car from lead acid batteries to lithium batteries was around $2,500. That did not include the motor or motor controller since I reused the original. That $2500 was batteries, charger, battery monitor/ control system, and misc. items. The batteries were used Nissan Leaf modules. If you go new, the price climbs from there.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Unfortunately, the major cost component is batteries. To get a sub $10k price, you would have such a small battery pack that the range would be in the double digits (at best).

The conversion of my electric club car from lead acid batteries to lithium batteries was around $2,500. That did not include the motor or motor controller since I reused the original. That $2500 was batteries, charger, battery monitor/ control system, and misc. items. The batteries were used Nissan Leaf modules. If you go new, the price climbs from there.

I would think you get a cheap Prius or similar and use those batteries? I know virtually nothing about these electric conversions but they seem pretty awesome. I love the idea of the Wrangler 4xe.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I would think you get a cheap Prius or similar and use those batteries? I know virtually nothing about these electric conversions but they seem pretty awesome. I love the idea of the Wrangler 4xe.
I don't know if it is still this way, but I heard cars like a Prius, once the batteries are worn out / done the car is pretty worthless, just not worth the effort of buying/installing new batteries.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
On the Blazer above, the battery placement kind of completely ruins the utility of the whole vehicle?

Would it be that hard/dangerous to put the batteries underneath the vehicle or under the hood?

I am sure electric might be the future, and will be much more refined, but the Blazer above is pretty poor execution?

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
On the Blazer above, the battery placement kind of completely ruins the utility of the whole vehicle?

Would it be that hard/dangerous to put the batteries underneath the vehicle or under the hood?

I am sure electric might be the future, and will be much more refined, but the Blazer above is pretty poor execution?

I agree. I loved it until I saw the batteries taking up the entire rear seat/cargo area. Everything seemed very well executed and then the battery pack looks like a total afterthought. It seems like that will be the problem will all of these conversions. I had hoped GM had used a clever idea to hide them...guess not.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I think the sweet spot would be to split the difference between cargo area and under bed. A bed floor 4” higher, the rest of the battery pack extending downward should do it. I’m thinking this was more of a “let’s see how it works” than a SEMA quality thought out build. I can also see a split battery pack on either side of the frame.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I have been following the electric conversion thread here with interest. The idea of an electric Scrambler has been on my mind since seeing Jeep’s release of the 4XE Wrangler. I can’t think of a more perfect “Errand Runner”. And this morning I saw this on my MT feed! It was published Nov 2, so this might be old news. But it was new to me so I thought I’d share. The last paragraph is the most exciting- “Performance conversion options will be coming”!

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/chevy-has-built-an-electric-1977-k5-blazer
View attachment 89503View attachment 89501
View attachment 89502

The optimist in me is thinking a crate package that will make make it as easy to go electric as a typical LS swap. Hopefully they won’t kill the deal with prices that are astronomical. If they can keep a performance option around 10K it might be worthwhile!
I had looked into this a little bit after seeing the new post here of the Scrambler electrification.
I have always thought that an electric powered vehicle would be great if properly executed, anyway...
I went back to the site that sells "e-crate motors".
They now have a new system scheduled to come out, a lower end hp option that actually lists a Jeep Scrambler as a good candidate.
https://electricgt.com/shop/313-e-crate-conversion-system/
Price.... $59k :eek:

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
I had looked into this a little bit after seeing the new post here of the Scrambler electrification.
I have always thought that an electric powered vehicle would be great if properly executed, anyway...
I went back to the site that sells "e-crate motors".
They now have a new system scheduled to come out, a lower end hp option that actually lists a Jeep Scrambler as a good candidate.
https://electricgt.com/shop/313-e-crate-conversion-system/
Price.... $59k :eek:

I've actually talked to the ElectricGT guys a few times about their builds. They've built some really cool FJs. It seems like their aim is to have a true plug-and-play solution akin to one of the full drivetrain swap packages from Novak, which run about half that. One of the owners has a Scrambler.

This is an interesting rundown of the "true cost" of DIY EV conversion...
. You might need some coffee to make it through the entire video. He lands at at a range of $16k to $27k depending on desired range and options like power brakes and power steering.

My guess is the GM "crate" offering will come in around $35k.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
From a packaging point, it will be hard to have a universal battery system that fits multiple vehicles. Putting batteries outside the frame rails is a non starter for me. Keep in mind that the batteries must contain the equivalent energy as a tank of gas. These batteries also have volatile chemistry that makes them rather susceptible to fires. Some more than others. That is why they are packaged in multiple layer enclosures and placed at the center of the vehicle.

A $30k turnkey conversion would be as cheap as I would expect until batteries become much cheaper.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I don't know if it is still this way, but I heard cars like a Prius, once the batteries are worn out / done the car is pretty worthless, just not worth the effort of buying/installing new batteries.
A used Nisan Leaf has pretty much zero value as replacement battery cost more than the vehicle is worth. Once you brick a battery the vehicle is scrap (unless it's a Tesla Roadster or something).

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
From a packaging point, it will be hard to have a universal battery system that fits multiple vehicles. Putting batteries outside the frame rails is a non starter for me. Keep in mind that the batteries must contain the equivalent energy as a tank of gas. These batteries also have volatile chemistry that makes them rather susceptible to fires. Some more than others. That is why they are packaged in multiple layer enclosures and placed at the center of the vehicle.

A $30k turnkey conversion would be as cheap as I would expect until batteries become much cheaper.
I had seen a press release for a complete "platform" for vintage vehicles.

https://www.zerolabs.com/platform

The site isn't updated yet to give the details so I contacted them via email:

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 9:40 PM Palm Bay Prof. Firefighters <l2446treas@aol.com> wrote:
I saw your recent press release on the new platforms that are going to be available in 2021.
Are there plans to sell the complete platform/drivetrain for customers to convert their own vintage vehicles?
I have a '83 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler that is dying for a conversion.

Adam Roe (adam@zerolabs.com)
Yes that’s the plan it won’t happen right away we need to be able to provide support for each format which will be easier after we’ve done a few full conversions of each format and models but long term it’s exactly why we created this.

He didn't offer to borrow mine for a Scrambler prototype. :shrug: :rolleyes:

I know VW has platforms that they plan to sell to other car manufacturers, but this is the first time I've come across one that will be available to the general public.
:popcorn:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow- 59k is a hard pill to swallow. Even 35k is more than I would consider reasonable. In my opinion there is a break-even point in cost vs utility. An electric vehicle would be really cool but at some point you’re just throwing money away.
I could throw a price tag on a LS conversion and come up with 12k for parts pretty easily. I also could probably do it for half of that if I went used or rebuilt. I never priced out a Novak package. That doesn’t include labor. This gives decent power and can deliver better fuel economy. So where does and electric conversion hit that sweet spot? I’ll admit, my first figure of 10k was wishful thinking. Realistically, 24k would probably be more reasonable, but that still prices most people out of the market. 59k? It better have Tesla-like performance to make that worthwhile.
Remember when calculators and digital watches first came out? I remember paying $120ish for a simple clunky calculator. And within a few short years the same functions were available for $20. Hopefully EV conversions will do the same.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
I read another article about the ZeroLabs platform that estimated the cost will be $200k for an all-wheel-drove version. o_O I do think we're starting to see EV battery technology advance to the degree that cost will start to come down. I like the idea of the GM and ElectricGT offerings because most of the vehicle remains original (trans, tcase, suspension, steering, brakes, etc.). I think for a lot of the classic EV conversion folks it's more about the challenge of doing something (and then ultimately having something) that few others have. Sure you could buy a Tesla but there's nothing really unique about that anymore. LS swaps are great, for sure, but there's nothing really unique about that anymore either. Personally I'd rather have an EV Scrambler with 280 ft/lbs of instant torque as my DD than a Tesla Model 3 with twice the performance and range. To each their own. I do need to research how to sell a kidney though if I'm going to make something like the GM or ElectricGT package a reality. Are Beanie Babies still a good investment? Anyway, I love that we're discussing stuff like this on here. I'm watching @timo439's build intently as they are well ahead of me in the process. I still have a lot of the resto work to get through before it's time to start looking at the powerplant.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
My son owns a Tesla and loves it. we have be thinking about converting something to electric for awhile but just don't have the time....15 other projects in front of that line.... but EV West is making a tesla motor conversion kit to fit any place a GM 350 can fit. I think that would be the way to go..

Truck