grill bolt

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
In order to remove my grill I had to cut the bolt off. It is completely rusted to the threaded insert that is attached to the grill.

What size threaded insert and bolt do I need to weld on? or does it really matter?

Sean

4miles

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Grill bolt

If you mean the bolt for the body mount, it is 7/16. I would not go any smaller with the next two mounts being under the front of the tub. Is there any bolt left to get a hold of? I was able to get a couple out by heating the insert with a small oxy/acet brazing tip moving the insert side to side and vise grips.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Hey Sean, the threaded insert piece can still be removed and restored. It's a threaded plate that floats in the mount. You can bend the sheet metal in front of the mount up gently and pull the plate out. From there, either restore the piece or make up a new one.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hey Sean, the threaded insert piece can still be removed and restored. It's a threaded plate that floats in the mount. You can bend the sheet metal in front of the mount up gently and pull the plate out. From there, either restore the piece or make up a new one.
x2, that's what we had to do on mine.