• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) rating number on CJ8 Overlander

Scramblerfuzzy

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Saarbruecken/Simpsonville
State
DE
Hello ,
I own a CJ8 Overlander from 1983. I bought the jeep in Switzerland a few years ago. Now i´m in the process to get a german title for it.
I checked the vin number on it and found that letter number 8 (GVW) is an "H".
The "Tom Ol Jeep" website says , the "H" is for a 4850 lbs Non-regulated Export.
I looked im my 1984 workshop manual (M.R255) and couldn't find the letter "H".
Does somebody of you have an 1983 shop manual and perhaps confirm the letter"H"? It would be very helpful for me to have some original documents to get the german title with this higher Gross Vehicle weight.
sorry for my english, its not my native language but hopefully its understandable for you.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Hello ,
I own a CJ8 Overlander from 1983. I bought the jeep in Switzerland a few years ago. Now i´m in the process to get a german title for it.
The "Tom Ol Jeep" website says , the "H" is for a 4850 lbs Non-regulated Export.
Does somebody of you have an 1983 shop manual and perhaps confirm the letter"H"? It would be very helpful for me to have some original documents to get the german title with this higher Gross Vehicle weight.
sorry for my english, its not my native language but hopefully its understandable for you.
I have the '82 FSM and the '83 Supplement, both show the options for the 8th character of the VIN as only "A" or "E".

This resource shows the "H" that you found.

There are a few guys here that have Overlanders that were imported back to the US, maybe they can shed more light on their VIN's and what they may know in that regards.

I believe I understood your post, guaranteed it is clearer than anything I would write in German. :o

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
‘E’ on my Overlander.

This from the ‘82 FSM:
3ABAB6A2-DC53-4E74-80FB-0E1148AF9A94.jpeg

This is from the ‘84 - 86 FSM:
IMG_2396.png

Last edited:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Hello ,

Might look for Dawn Abbott on the CJ facebook page; they have an original overlander.

Scramblerfuzzy

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
State
DE
Hello,
Thanks for all your help and information. Great forum. I looked on 2 VIN-Numbers from 2 CJ8 built in 81. The 8th character of these VIN‘s is also an „H“.
Does an 81 workshop manual perhaps can help save this mystery😀

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
My RHD 81 has an H as the 8th digit too (UK log book)
My RHD 82 has an E though so maybe its an 81 thing as you mention 😁

20240220_210425.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Here is the ‘81 FSM chart:

IMG_2398.jpeg

The H code must be an export only code that was used for Europe CJs. Regardless, if it has the H in the 8th place, I would try to get the GVWR issued in accordance with the info you have so far.

Scramblerfuzzy

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
State
DE
Not sure if you have seen this:

View attachment 112762

Tends to confirm that H was for export regions. I doubt any US spec manuals will document this code, might need to hunt down a Euro FSM to get the documentation needed.
Hello, yes I have seen this chart, but I found it on “ "Tom Ol Jeep" website.
It looks like I have to search for a European workshop manual.

Scramblerfuzzy

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
State
DE
Thank you, try to give my best, and thank you to keep this fantastic forum running.(y)
(y)