GVWR Sticker

Stedman

City
Bellingham
State
Wa
I have a 1982 Scrambler that was repainted at some point. And I am trying to get it back to what it looked like in the day. I have found a shop (directed to them by the Jeep dealer) that will remake me most of the stickers and stuff. But they do not have a template handy for the GVWR sticker, the one that lists the allowable axle loads and tire specs.

I think this is called the FMVSS but maybe back in the 80s they just called it the weight sticker or something.

I have managed to find some sample images floating around and they say they can use them to make a template. But I have no idea how big these are. I am guessing about 2" high and 3" wide but I could be way wrong here.

If any of you happen to have a Scrambler with an intact sticker could you just post up the length and width of that please.

Extra warm feelings if you have an actual high quality photo.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
This is off my 84 which I have heard is different than 82. One on the left has not faded. The GVWR faded long ago. 1 1/2 X 7 3/4 image.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I placed a call to Ecsvin.com. Recommended by a local body shop. Looks like they can reproduce just about anything. They’re not cheap but their product looks good. I’ll let you know what they say when/if they call back.

http://www.ecsvin.com/

These guys might have something too-

https://dataplates4u.com/

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I just received a return call from ecsvin.com

They have the template for the early 80’s Jeep vin tags. So if anyone needs a reproduction FMVSS sticker they will make it for you. I asked about legality, and they will make a sticker for anyone, all they need is proof of vin. So a copy of your registration, or a picture of the existing tag will do it. The more info you can get them, the better.

Hope this helps out, I think this is a pretty valuable resource. Every Jeep I have owned has had a faded and almost illegible sticker.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Do you know if they require a photo of the original?

I need to replace one on the overlander where a PO peeled it off. I’d also like to get one for the ‘82 so I don’t have to tape it off for the repaint. But I can provide a photo of the ‘82 tag as it is intact.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I don’t think so. You might want to provide any vehicle-specific info you want, like production date. Maybe a screen grab of a similar one? They will want a copy of your registration.

Give them a call! They seemed very knowledgable and professional. They actually do the reproduction decals for Ford!

Stedman

City
Bellingham
State
Wa
Hmmm, Belizeit I was thinking it would be somewhere around 2" X 3".

The sample I found on line looks to be much shorter than yours.

1595808678922.png

And yes I did call the Jeep dealer and they also pointed me to Ecsvin.com who did ask me to send along a photo of the tittle. No issue there. 100% above board. But they told me they did not have a template for this sticker, which is why I am asking what the size is. They are prepared to make the template for me, which will make it way easier for the next guy and on and on.....

And yes ag4ever a photo would be great! A photo with a tape measure in it showing the size would be even greater!!!!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
It has been a long time since mine was readable, but looked much like that, just cut in half and stretched to the side from what I remember

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
3 7/8” wide x 2 3/8” tall

9CA51E4E-7935-4395-B957-8DE0878D9639.jpeg

A3B0D3A3-59D4-4966-A978-F5B7803A3F5D.jpeg

I have no idea why the date is missing. I assume it came from the factory that way since the rest is not faded away and there are no traces of a date being present.

Does that mean it does not comply with the safety standards since no date is “shown above”? (Really below since the decal is upside down, or was that in anticipation of a Jeep “flip me over if you can read this” situation?)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The person at ECSVIN told me that the build date is often missing, but that they would be able to add that on. I found build dates on both my Scramblers stamped on the underside of the fuel tank front support. Unfortunately the tank obscures the info. B1A22F26-C2B6-4CFE-8603-C37FDA01D2D1.jpeg
Hope I don't scare anyone with that lovely picture. Didn't feel like laying on the ground, so I contorted myself over the top...

No idea what the 90 AW or the A after the date means...

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Randy, any way to compare the date on the sticker to a frame date?

Since my sticker is long gone on the overlander, I will need to either go blank on both or find a close date. The overlander should be a late ‘83 date. No idea on the ‘82.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
My ‘82 frame:

734BF7CD-0951-464E-9774-B8CBB625BC2F.jpeg

My replacement frame I bought for my build:
961E8EAE-462C-4682-9CE2-A58DB5234C6F.jpeg

I know the ‘82 is widetrack axles, no idea what was under the replacement frame. It would be interesting to see if all the 8 frames (or a bunch of them) were made in ‘81.

I wonder if the BW were initials for an inspector or such, guess we need to see if BigWalton was a Jeep inspector in ‘81. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
My sticker had no date on it, but IIRC on my 82 it matched up.

On your 5/81 frame- does it have the shorty shock towers welded on? My 6/81 frame had the shorty towers but it was drilled for the tall late model towers. But- no sleeves in the frame for those holes so I had to make my own.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
My sticker had no date on it, but IIRC on my 82 it matched up.

On your 5/81 frame- does it have the shorty shock towers welded on? My 6/81 frame had the shorty towers but it was drilled for the tall late model towers. But- no sleeves in the frame for those holes so I had to make my own.
Holes for tall towers, no welded on towers.