half cab hard top and soft doors

shpibby

Legacy Registered User
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I currently have a half cab hard top and full
hard doors. Now that it’s the beginning of spring we have cold mornings and warm afternoons. I keep the half cab hard top on year round. I leave the hard doors on for the morning drive to work and take them off for the ride home. Very burdensome, plus they are getting beat up in the back of the Scrambler. Looking for a soft door solution. I would really like soft uppers and lowers so I can have the option of having the soft half doors on when I have the kids with me. I also would like to store them behind the seats so I have them in case in rains. So... I know I’m asking a lot, but there have been so many pieces of threads that mention part of what I want but I can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for. I’m sure I’m not the only one looking for this ideal solution. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!!

shpibby

Legacy Registered User
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Thanks Rob, I’ve seen that but also read somewhere that they don’t fit with the half cab hard top. Looks like it doesn’t have the right shape on the side where the door latches. My hard doors are not straight on the sides.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I think that's your only option. If it mattered that much you could probably modify the wire frame & fabric of the soft upper to better match.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Not sure how much modifying you want to do but the TJ soft uppers fit the shape of the half cab.
One of the posts that goes into the YJ half hard doors is a little off.
I'm not sure, but it seems like it would be easy to relocate the sleeve on a CJ/YJ soft door or the post on the TJ soft upper to fit your needs.
Another option may be trying to modify the TJ lower to work with the latches.

shpibby

Legacy Registered User
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Is this just not a combo that most run on their Scramblers? I’m willing to spend the money, just need to be sure I’m buying the right parts.

Coranco

City
Kamloops
State
BC
I am waiting for my first top for my 8 so I can post pics later. BUT, T J uppers on a YJ work well and should be the same as the 8.
I cut the rear finger on the horizontal and shortened it roughly 1cm to make all 3 fingers line up on the YJ lower hard doors. My one set of Rampage T J frames needed to have the front wire shortened and relocated slightly for the windshield angle. The rounded radius of wire frame also needs to be nudged with a Pipe Clamp or cut and welded too if I'm fussy. With a mig welder and an angle grinder with a zip disc it's simple slow work for one person, an easy morning job. OEM TJ uppers should be plentiful with pooched windows and New Sierra branded windows are fantastic value with big flaps and a nice finish inside and out. If you botch it up , some kid will want them for their YJ, practically can't loose.

I sacrificed a very wet bath towel and spot welded, installed, for a perfect fit. I also covered everything for the minimal splatter ( windshield esp ).