• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Half cab hard top can be made from YJ hard top???

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hello guys. I'm trying to find some info about this crazy thing, because after 2 years of search (in Europe, of course), I can't find a half hard top. Its so expensive buy it overseas, so..
Now I have two pieces of top, one at front with doors frame and other the end of hard top.... I'm sure that I'm not the first one doing this job, but some help will make it easier!!!
Ideas???

Thanks!!!!

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hey guys!!
OK, today has been a hard day... we mount and test and remove, then cut, mount, etc... at least 18 times (think I lost count...)
We trim both parts of top, and made it possible....

QcLMrcL.jpg

6A6cCQ1.jpg

But there is a little problem with the shape of both parts...

2bEbwmZ.jpg

We will have to cut some stock fiber just to hold both together as one, in nice look, of course....

Tomorrow we will make three patchs with top on place: at the middle and both sides, to hold parts securelly; then we can handle all top as one part and we could start to join it with a lot of resin and fiber. Once it seems to be a hard top, we will think the best way to solve the rear corners problem...

To be continued............

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
JScherb did something very similar to this for his Gaucho build, let me find it... he had to heat up the corners if I recall.

cb

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
OK, thank you very much, CB, but that top is one of first units that were made, are plastic in place of fiberglass, that's mine...
Well, today we could solve all problems of cut and adjust, could aproximate both corners as much as the shape allows. This job will allow us to make it easier to repair both corners. (Oh, today "only" remove the top 5 times!!!) :headbang::headbang::headbang:
Also, I sanded every part where I'll put the new fiber matt, given it a big holding surface. I finished at the upper top border, just to have a clear line to make a good finish.

xdVE29l.jpg

vollTby.jpg

Q2XAPZe.jpg

BQ9R1kQ.jpg

EGhweJd.jpg

Next step will be to hold both sides before center part of top, with some kind of patch that allows me to disassemble top as an unit, and finish joining both halves away from the Jeep.
This job will take more time, and vacation's time is over. I'll do it at free time... And will continue to hang all pics...
Once again, thank you very much for all your help and support!!!!!

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
JAJAJAJA...
Please, dont be cruel with me... Its a super-market find at the "last ones" section...
I don't know what it is.....

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I am just looking for ideas for mine when it is done... the original ones are too much $$$$

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I am just looking for ideas for mine when it is done... the original ones are too much $$$$
An original half hard top that needs some work would be less $$ and easier to fix than building one from a full hardtop. It is amazing that someone has the talent to do that though. I still see a reasonable price for a decent half hard top between four and seven hundred dollars. Some are asking more, and that's ok, but probably won't be easy to sell unless really pristine. At some point, I'll need to make an extended top, hard or soft, for my extended cab Scrambler so I'm liking this thread.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
An original half hard top that needs some work would be less $$ and easier to fix than building one from a full hardtop. It is amazing that someone has the talent to do that though. I still see a reasonable price for a decent half hard top between four and seven hundred dollars. Some are asking more, and that's ok, but probably won't be easy to sell unless really pristine. At some point, I'll need to make an extended top, hard or soft, for my extended cab Scrambler so I'm liking this thread.
I think he's talking about the bed mat

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
He is in Barcelona, tops aren't plentiful I guess, thus the need to make your own.

cb

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba

Hi Kim: Of course, I'm tired of finding many tops with good prices ... in the USA!!! Now I'm living in Barcelona, Spain .....
Shipping is very expensive, but ... we have a Customs Service that is one of the best in the world. They add part cost, shipping cost and then apply 45% tax on everything!!!!
Can you imagine ... I may need 1000€ to have a top on my door. And surely I would have to paint it. !!!!
That top of YJ was for trash (and I can sell both side glasses), all the manual work is mine (yes, you're right: a lot of work!). I spent a little more than 100€ on materials and just need to take it to the paint shop; I bought a Land Rover side window for 50€ (don't tell anyone, please!), with a slide to use it on the back. I think with less than 500€ I will have it ready to ride ...
We also have all the plans to make the bulkhead, not a copy of the stock, but a little personalized

Last edited:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Anxious to see your top with the rear window and how you put it together. I'm a believer in "if you can't find it, make it". That 45% must prevent a lot of products coming into Spain. . . .they are looking to make more on the product than most manufacturers. If they were less greedy, they would probably make more with a larger volume coming in.

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Well I've tried not to bore everybody, while I was working some days on the hard top. My first experience with fiberglass and resin has been grateful. Welds are more solid that I thought, finish are more smooth and looks really strong. I've also been experimenting with polyurethane foam, using it to fill gaps between some pieces, such as the back cover against the hard top body and at the bottom, between fiber and plywood that I'll use to hold the top against (what it will be) my bulkhead.
Following instructions of my nephew (who has worked a lot in boat repair), I'm putting two layers of fiber at each side, reinforcing it at some places (like corners, edges) with more layers.

25.jpg37.jpg34.jpg36.jpg41.jpg38.jpg

Next steps will be: some layers of fiber/resin to hold the back at the inside, over the foam; cut the rear window opening; cut the back at the bottom and drill holes for seat belts anchors, all before my friend Angel do the paint job.