Half Cab Identification

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
I saw this post for a half cab and it is listed as a Gr8top. From the pictures it looks to be in great shape but I don’t think it’s a Gr8top. No ridges on the top and the rear window and lower portion are different than the pictures of what I have seen. Does anyone know what top this is?
80EBAB64-A4C9-4222-9211-A0605A6246D8.jpeg E26A6FBE-2C3E-40F7-B167-B40074554C65.jpeg

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
To me, that almost looks like a modified/chopped YJ hardtop with a piece of plexi bolted to the lift gate opening- if so, the did a nice bit of glass work for the door opening.

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
I was thinking some type of modified top as well. The seller listed it as a CJ/YJ and was including a modified roll bar to fit a YJ and what is does appear to be a Gr8top bulkhead. Trying to figure out if it’s even worth moving forward with. He’s only about an hour away and very reasonable on price.

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
So I guess the real question now would be is there any value? From the outside it would appear to be pretty good glass work. I’m thinking at $300 or less it’s might still be decent temporary top. Of course that’s considering it looks as good in person as the picture both inside and out. Opinions?

Hoover

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
City
Livingston
State
AL
Value is a personal thing, for sure. :) However, If I were considering this, I would be concerned about the integrity/water tightness of the rear glass and how it is secured to the top. Moreover, if it is plexiglass, it's going to easily scratch and get foggy over time. Also, there is risk in the quality of the fiberglass work around the door- if a seam is weak, flexes and ultimately fails, you'll have more work ahead of you. For the Gr8tops bulk head, though, probably can't go wrong there - Although I haven't owned one, I was considering that as an option before sourcing an oem bulkhead.

Best,
Hoover