Half Cab Windsheild mounting

scrmbln dirtbag

Kimchi Bio-fuel
City
Orange Park
State
FL
Ok, so it's starting to get cooler over here now, and I've reinstalled my half cab. Unfortunately when I got the 8 the previous owner had used self tapping screws to hold it in place. (The cab wasn't aligned correctly so he used those to get the the bolt holes on the window frame.) My problem/question: The bolt hole on the frame are getting pretty big. I'd prefer not to use some 1/4" short bolt to mount my half cab. Has anyone used any type of compression latch or anything else to mount the front? What are some of your ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, J

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Either plain old rivets that you drill out in the spring or special rivets that are threaded on the inside to accept the screw holding the top on.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Here's what I did for the half-cab for my Gaucho project. This half-top started as an early CJ-7 full hardtop that I cut down, and this one didn't use the metal strip to attach it to the windshield, so it looks a little different than the Scrambler hardtop, but I think you could use the same type latches. Latches like this are available at McMaster-Carr, they have a range of different styles: http://www.mcmaster.com/#draw-latches/=95402j

City
O'fallon
State
Il
I used the same latches to hold down my halfcab. You can get them to work just fine on the factory cj8 top. You can pop rivit them to the metal strip or to the overhead just above the metal strip.