• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Half doors and half cab

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Has anyone had issue with a half cab using half doors with hard uppers? Trying to figure out exactly what switching back to a half cab will entail.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I run that set up now but with soft uppers. YJ half doors. TJ soft uppers. I had to cut the rear of the pins on each upper and reweld them (cutting the middle of the horizontal part). If you can find YJ uppers with the round upper corner, that would be easiest.

But if your hard uppers have the round corners, you should be fine. The upper round edge and the contour around the bump above the door handle kept me from using my two piece soft doors with the hard top.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I run that set up now but with soft uppers. YJ half doors. TJ soft uppers. I had to cut the rear of the pins on each upper and reweld them (cutting the middle of the horizontal part). If you can find YJ uppers with the round upper corner, that would be easiest.

But if your hard uppers have the round corners, you should be fine. The upper round edge and the contour around the bump above the door handle kept me from using my two piece soft doors with the hard top.
I have YJ hard half doors with YJ uppers and they do not fit right with my 1/2 top. Drivers will not latch with upper on it.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have YJ hard half doors with YJ uppers and they do not fit right with my 1/2 top. Drivers will not latch with upper on it.

I had a similar issue, but spent time finagling the top and windshield to put the top back enough to get the frame from the upper to fit within the contour of the top.

This summer I moved my bulkhead back a bit (I have a glass tub) so when I out the halfcab back on, it should make the uppers fit in better.

There are others who get it to work. It can be done IF the uppers have the right contour.

Here is a close up pic of mine. Not that my door is not flush. That is due to the glass tub. It is latched and sits like that regardless of the upper being used.

24663efad80aede030eea349961513f4-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I put the top and hard doors back on it today. I messed with the bulkhead to line the back of the top up better. And I adjusted the hinge screws as well to allow the door to sit back in the opening better. (Thanks for the assistance Chris-cdvcj8).

4c410375db3fa643f89f8fb6d3178357-1.jpg

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
boy yours fit way better than mine do, I just swapped mine on today and am really frustrated by the poor fit. And now my passenger side half door wont fully latch for some reason to boot. I dont know if there is enough adjustment and if I move the top back enough to get the door to close inside the opening in the top then the full hard doors are going to be way off, they are loose in the opening as is. Damn jeeps....