Half hard top insulating

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Foaming insulation between the two hard top layers. Has anybody considered, seen it, tried it, etc? Would provide excellent thermal and sound insulation. Negatives I can think of though are if too much is applied expanding could bow the two layers, would be hard to control the amount added (assuming one hole in the centre of the top for installing and a long tube), may not dry completely due to little air escape, door may stick around for prolonged time due to drying.

What about blow in loose insulation like used in sleeping bags? Would big a big benefit to heat but not so much for sound probably. Could be an issue when removing the top since the insulation would start to come out the bolt holes.

Rivet on a foam with cloth backed headliner? Negative not as good of heat or sound insulation as first two and lots of holes for the rivets...

Other things you have considered, done, tried but failed, works great, etc..?

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
When it's really cold, I just wear a hat, jacket and gloves. Pros and Cons are fairly obvious.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Also the always reliable heater motor is on call 24 hours... :banghead:

Sent from my SPH-L900

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Paint the top white. If I had to, I'd go with the expanding foam option, not all expanding foam has the same rate of expansion, I'd look for something that doesn't bow the roof.

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Will be moving to a sage green body and light tan top option but that is a year or two out (all black now). Not painting myself and want to do it right the first time so saving the money. I'll talk to some shops and see if they have any recommendations/experience with foaming insulation in vehicles...

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Painted a big white square on top of mine. Makes big differance.

DSC03000.JPG