Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
baltimore
State
oh
I have also been thinking of changing the way the front of my top secures. Thanks for posting your work. I have already gone up in screw size and need to go up again and the pop rivets need replaved. I do have one question. Where the latch mounts, is this where the original plate that screwed to the windshield was riveted to? I'm guessing you have just removed that plate. Thanks in advance. Tim

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
The previous owner drilled a hole throught the entire top and had a bolt from outside thru the top and metal strip clamping it all together. I mixed up some fiberglass using 1/8" milled fiberglass, a thickening agent and polyester resin. After all of the holes were filled, I drilled new holes for the jack rivits. That takes care of the top mounting.

For the windshield header I just drilled two holes for each latch and tapped the holes for the screws. In total I have 4 latches, one on the outside of each sun visor, and one near the inside bracket for the sunvisors (between the two brackets, but on the side towards the windshield rearview mirror).

dak44312

Basic User
City
Akron
State
OH
1/2 hardtop is ON!

I gotta give a shout out to ag4ever...that latch/jacknut combo works great! I used 3 latches; one on the outside of each visor (very similar location to yours), and 1 in the middle. The only thing I did differently was that I bought the latches with the little safety catch. Almost identical spec, $2 more each for a little insurance. Still need to find a front weatherstrip and seal the existing holes (I assume where the metal strip was). Wind noise is noticeable. Also need to install rear window and then I'm on to the next thing...maybe some new 1" springs. I'll post some pics of the new setup tomorrow.

So..

top, window, seal, & bulkhead: $150
stainless hardware for bulkhead to floor, plus top-to-bulkhead rear and side attachment: $12
latches & jack nuts: $50
Krylon Fusion: 3x white, 4x black @ $4 = $28
prep supplies, tape, misc: $10

I should be out the door for right around $250, not bad.

I also received my Pro Comp rear bumper today. Haven't installed it yet, but looks to be decent quality. I didn't want anything crazy, just something to complete that empty rear frame panel.

City
Youngstown
State
OH
I know this is an old thread, but thanks ag4ever!!! I finished my carb this morning, cleaned up the roof tonight!! Very easy to do with all the hardware listed.

Thanks.

The previous owner drilled a hole throught the entire top and had a bolt from outside thru the top and metal strip clamping it all together. I mixed up some fiberglass using 1/8" milled fiberglass, a thickening agent and polyester resin. After all of the holes were filled, I drilled new holes for the jack rivits. That takes care of the top mounting.

For the windshield header I just drilled two holes for each latch and tapped the holes for the screws. In total I have 4 latches, one on the outside of each sun visor, and one near the inside bracket for the sunvisors (between the two brackets, but on the side towards the windshield rearview mirror).

chos n1

Legacy Registered User
City
Bulverde
State
TX
Did you every replace screws with latches? Did it work? Photo if it did and how to would be appreciated.