• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hard Door Window Mechanism

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
I just took the Scrambler out for a ride in the snow. When I went to crank up the passenger side window it was extremely hard to crank. My windows have never been easy to crank and they have never gone all the way up- they stop short about 3/16".

I took the door panel off and it was clear that the metal bar that connects the crank to the lift was binding on the inside of the metal door panel. It also appeared to be twisted. I ended up taking channel locks and gently twisting the flat bar so that it is clearing the door. This made the window operate much more smoothly than it ever has before. I have attached a picture of it after I adjusted it. It seems like I could twist/ bend it further, but I am hesitant to put too much pressure on it for fear of breaking something.

When i look up into the door from the bottom, the bar has a bend in it. I tried to take a pic- hard to photograph, but see attached. Is this normal? It seems like if the bend wasn't there, the window would go all the way up because the bar would be longer. If it's not normal, I have no idea how it got bent since it's not a small steel bar. If it is supposed to be straight, it looks like I will need to take the door apart to fix it. Ideas?

Related to this, when i went to remove the door panel, two of the plastic fasteners pulled out of the carboard as soon as I started working on it. Anyone know a good fix for this?

Thanks.DOOR BAR1.jpgDOOR BAR2.jpg

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
You need to take the regulator out and straighten it. It does have a bend in it from the factory but yours looks like it is bent past the factory bend.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
After that... grease/lube liberally...

Those plastic clips I have found at Autozone... and if the cardboard was ripped, I glued it in place

cb

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Is there a way to get it out and reinstall without taking the door apart?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Is there a way to get it out and reinstall without taking the door apart?

You have to remove the inner panel, maybe the vent window, but not terrible IIRC :shrug:

Watch out playing in the snow, they like to put salt in it :banghead:

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
They use brine here in NC- Not sure if that is any better, but it's mostly on the main roads. This is my first snow with the scrambler and I couldn't resist taking it out- Being from up north originally, I love driving in the snow. I stuck to the secondary roads in an effort to avoid the Brine. It will still get a thorough underbody wash this weekend when it hits 60 degrees.