• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

hard top attachment

wesmundy

Basic User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I'm not sure if this is posted in the right category or not, so I appologize in advance.

I'm having a tough time attaching my hard top to the top of the windshield frame. I don't know how they were originally attached, but the previous owner of my Scrambler just used sheet metal screws and they continually loosen up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wes

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
I have a few ...
1) Nutsert rivets. Drill the holes out to the size needed for the nutsert, pop em in, use the matching screws.
2) Larger sheetmetal screws. This is my method- I'm currently up to #12 sheetmetal screws with lockwashers.
3) Weld holes shut and start over.
4) Tack weld 16-ga steel to the front and back of windshield at each screw point, drill and tap, use machine screws to mount.
5) Ditch the screws and get the quick-release mount from 4WDH. Not currently one for the Scrambler, but adapting the one for the TJ: http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetail.asp?productsku=20298&model=tj - may work.
6) Drill out holes to approx. 1/8", weld #12 nuts to front face of windshield pinch weld, use #12 machine screws to hold top.

Just a few ideas...

tinymay

Scrambler Junkie
City
Dickson
State
TN
Quick clips for Top to Windshield frame

Hey,

I just bought some of those quick clips and they are quality pieces but very pricey, I thought. They look fine for the rear attaching points but didn't satisfy my windshield attachment. I contacted Matt at info@cj-8.com and he has some windshield quick clamps that are a LOT more beefy for a fraction of the cost. He'll remember... just give him a mailer to see if he's got more. ;)

Check out this link about halfway down the page:
Windshield Cam-Over Release

Tiny

Last edited:

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
I found the simplest solution is to learn how to drive with your knees. The benefit is that by freeing up at least one hand it allows me to affix the top to the windshield without tools, screws or clamps.

The downside is that on extended trips or in cold wheather, cramping may occur.

I hope this helps.
Scott