• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

hard top hoist

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
Howdy. I searched here a couple months ago for advice on doing a homemade Harken Hoister. I read a few threads that were also looking for advice but didn't see any that had successfully done it. I really wanted to build one so I just figured it out on my own and want to share here in case anyone wants to do the same.
My problem with hoist-a-tops is that they require the back window to raise. Neither the GR8top on my Scrambler nor the top on my Brute has this ability.
So I bought (7) eye-bolt lag screws, a $25 boat hoist, 90' of steel cable, (12) terminal clips for the steel cable, (2) carribeaners, (1) stick of 1/2" conduit, (2) 8' oak 1x4s, and (6) eye-bolts with washers & nuts. I mounted the boat-hoist and eyebolt lag screws to the wall & ceiling joists and ran a piece of string to measure the longest point from the boat hoist to the far-back corner of the top. That piece of string happened to be 24' long. I subtracted 2' for the far-front corner. Then I ran the string to the closest back corner and found that I needed 18'. I subtracted 2' for the closest front corner. I also wanted to run a cable from the front corners to the back corners to keep them from accidentally spreading apart. So I bought (2) 5' pieces of cable, a 24', a 22', an 18', and a 16'. It all depends on the height of the ceiling.
Once I mounted the boat hoist to the wall and attached the crank handle, I realized the handle wouldn't turn so I had to use a 6" piece of steel with 4" sides to mount the hoist. I ran the cables from the end of the strap through the eye-bolts to the 1X4s. I cut the conduit into (2) 40" pieces and ran the cable through a piece of conduit from the front 1x4 to the back 1x4 and I put a carribeaner on the back side of each so I can quickly disconnect if needed. I drilled holes in the back 1x4 corresponding to the holes in the back of the top so that I could run a bolt through the 1x4 and keep the top securely mounted to the 1x4. I used a strap to hold the front of the top to the 1x4 at the front. I hooked it all up, raised the top, and it's been hanging for at least 24 hours so I think it's going to work.

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
I might make a youtube video about it. It might help some brothers out if they come out with the new Scrambler next year.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I did something similar to pull my half cab off by myself. Mine has to pull off straight up since I have an in-cab cage. I used a boat winch also, eye bolts and short straps. I’d post up some pictures, but it’s holding up my kayak instead of my top right now.

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
Today I used this hoist to take the top off of the first new vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Attachments

• 0BE1A870-92BE-420D-8C36-BCDFBEE7C8CA.jpeg
    0BE1A870-92BE-420D-8C36-BCDFBEE7C8CA.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 32
  • C9D8AD4C-DE9D-4785-9C7A-2BC5188FB599.jpeg
    C9D8AD4C-DE9D-4785-9C7A-2BC5188FB599.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 32