Hard Top or Soft Top for Winter?

orange150

Basic User
City
Raleigh
State
NC
To those of you that have had both, am I over thinking wanting a hard top for winter driving?
Long story short, I'm moving and am thinking about selling my full hard top as it's just one more (large) thing to move, BUT I am driving my Jeep more and more and would like to "comfortably" drive it in the winter as well.
I'm fairly certain I could sell the hardtop for damn near the same price as a new Besttop soft top, but would I regret it??

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I say that depends alot on where you are moving to. Lots of snow, I would want a hard top. I would hate to come out in the morning and find 18" of snow on my soft top. That could be alot of weight up there.
One thing I would recommend if if not worried about modification is do the blower motor upgrade. If not familiar just search for Jeep CJ blower motor upgrade.

orange150

Basic User
City
Raleigh
State
NC
One thing I would recommend if if not worried about modification is do the blower motor upgrade. If not familiar just search for Jeep CJ blower motor upgrade.
I'm actually in the middle of that right now. I pulled the heater assembly out to refurbish it and do the blower motor upgrade, but there's so much space back there with it gone that now I'm also redoing my dash wiring and gauges ... good ol snowball.

Moving to the northern VA area, so potentially more snow than I'm used to here in Raleigh.

Oakley

LIFETIME
SOA Member
City
Cumming
State
GA
I live in Georgia not a lot of snow here but I’m keeping my hardtop. (What else is going to keep the AC in)

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Sell the hard top. Buy a soft top. Store it indoors for the winter and don't even let the thought cross your mind to drive it until spring. Jeeps don't like salt. Why expose it to such hell?

You could buy a winter vehicle. You could get one of those Chrysler things. What do they call them? Wranglers? Yeah that's it! 😉

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I live in a snowy area. Had a full hardtop- sold it for a soft top. Really wish I had kept the hard top. No used ones ever come up for sale here, a new one is about $2500 delivered.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Hard tops are nonexistent here, no real reason to have one anyway unless you have some serious ac. Scramblers are very rare also.

orange150

Basic User
City
Raleigh
State
NC
I live in a snowy area. Had a full hardtop- sold it for a soft top. Really wish I had kept the hard top. No used ones ever come up for sale here, a new one is about $2500 delivered.
Yea that's what I'm worried about.

And man I didn't even think about the salt!

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Forget it, you're screwed. Park it as soon as the salt goes down and don't even consider driving it.

Sell the hard top, you can find one again if you move out of the salt.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Heck, in central Virginia, we didn’t even have snow last winter.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I also forgot to mention- my full hard top was a lot quieter than the full soft top. And I felt it was more secure, too. Also- if it’s cold and snowy, you won’t be opening the Zippers on the back of a soft top, so you really can’t even use the back. On a Bestop you have to unzip the back just to get to the tailgate latches to open the tailgate- then you can open the rear window. A hardtop is easy to open the back no matter what the weather.

Oakley

LIFETIME
SOA Member
City
Cumming
State
GA
When I was building mine I found a full hard top on Craig’s list for $800. I opted to stay with my hard top and bulkhead. I like the look but it really limits space inside in hindsight I should have bought it as now I’m dealing with where to put things that need to be out of the elements. Not to mention an additional seat would be nice to take our children with us

orange150

Basic User
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Alright, I'm going to keep the full hard top for now at least. I've gotta store the Jeep for a maximum of six months while I move and get settled anyway, so I'm going to keep the top on it while it hibernates.