Hard top texture

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Anyone know how to put the texture back in a hard top without spraying bed liner on it? How bad do they look without the texture on them?

jeepinjosh

Basic User
City
pell city
State
al
i repainted mine with a small roller to keep as much texture as possible. it worked for the most part. I also didn't sand it at all...just wiped down with lacquer rag.

i considered using one of those deck resurfacing kit, but was scared i'd get too much texture and lose its original look.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Have any pictures of it maybe at 20' and a close up? I asked some local fiberglass places but they had no clue. I wonder if I could figure out what ingredient makes wrinkle finish paint wrinkle and test it out.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Get the spray cans of Trunk Paint. It has a splatter nozzle that will put a texture on it. Then go over with a fine mist of a good quality of paint. Krylon has a nice nozzle for laying down the paint. Also Eastwoods new 2 part paint have a very big spray pattern.

If you have a decent spray gun use a large tip designed for Primer. Something in the 1.8-2.3mm size. Turn the air pressure way down. like 10-15 psi and the fluid flow all the way up. That will spit really large globs. Use a thicker 2 part paint with very little reducer. That should give you a pretty good pattern.

Just experiment with air pressure and fluid thickness to get the pattern you like.

Carl

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Prepping to tackle a top texture and re-paint. Any more thoughts or recommendations on this texture topic? Has anyone used other texture products (like wall textures??) and then sprayed over them with regular paint?

CBRogers - What type of spray Trunk Paint do you recommend?

Thanks,

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Merton
State
WI
el Coat

Here is the product I used for texture... it worked excellent.

3M Rocker Panel Coating

http://3mcollision.com/3m-rocker-panel-coating-08889.html

I topped it with 1 coat rustoleum fiberglass topside primer and 2 coats rustoleum fiberglass topside paint, all with a foam roller.

I reason I didn't try the trunk paint was that the different colors and textures in the can are achieved with a combination of oil and water based paints so they stay separate. I was worried that the oil based primer would start to dissolve the texture. Hope this helps.