• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hard top vs. soft top

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I want/need (relative term isn't it) a full top for the scrambler and I try to be both thrifty and honest with myself. Thrifty in that I only want to buy one top and honest in that I know I am lazy and won't swap tops enough to justify buying two.

So what are the pros and cons of a hard vs. soft top? Which one lasts longer, which one is quitter, are hard tops really hot in the summer? are soft tops really cold in the winter? what else is there to consider?

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I have had/have both on the Scrambler. Seldom changed tops if the soft top was on it usually stayed on for some time, if the hard top was on it usually stayed on for some time. Normally I had the full soft top on because it kept things in the back dry, could roll up the sides if it got too hot, easier to swap to a bikini top if I wanted (did not do often because I could just roll up the sides and instant safari top. I now have a full hard top on the Scrambler and it will probably never come back off, got rid of the full soft top. (still have the half cab though) I currently have a soft top on the LJ and have never taken out the windows or the top off it has AC so if it gets hot I turn on the AC. My wife's LJ has both tops and we have never used the soft top. Her top is all back and is hotter than my Scrambler top that is back and has the whole center of the top white. I found I like the full tops better, soft or hard. The weather in Farmington is not that radical that you can't run a soft top in the winter.

By the way sent a PM with my number being we are in the same town.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have always had soft tops. I had a full soft top on my 8 until last year. I liked it as it was easy to fold back for a topless drive without having to leave it home. I now have a soft half cab and a hard half cab. I had the hard top on all winter then switched in March for the three other seasons. The hard top is definitely quieter and hold the heat in better. But Instill like to take the top off for the open drives. With the hard top on, I would not take it off unless I had a forecast of at least a month of dry weather ahead. Too much trouble to swap.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I always got along fine with a soft top (keep in mind I'm in South Louisiana and it never gets REALLY cold). The sides remain rolled up 95% of the time. When the rain or cold weather hits, I can roll the sides down and put the doors on in 10 min or less. I very rarely take the entire top off; I prefer "safari style".