• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hardtop question

skiptown

CJ-8 Member
City
Madison
State
WI
I have an 81 with a hardtop... not sure if this top came with the truck or sometime in the past 30 years. On each side of the rear window there are these round areas about where I would assume the shoulder harness would go..... so A) did AMC make shoulder harness a option back in 81 and this is not drilled out B) AMC knew they were going to add shoulder harness in the future and made all the top this way C) I have a "newer" top just not drilled out D) hey its a jeep thing!

(photo is rotated 90 degrees)

Last edited:

Gary R

Legacy Registered User
City
Arlington
State
TX
I know that shoulder belts were NOT an option in 81. I need to go back and look at my original 81 top and see if it has the depressions- like your Photo. But no, they were not offered from the factory in 81.

MarCor

Legacy Registered User
City
Edmond
State
OK
My hardtop has the depressions but no shoulder belts. I was told it was the original '81 top but can't swear to it.

devildogca1997

Basic User
City
Olympia
State
WA
I believe the holes came in the hard tops in 83. My hard top is from 83, but I still use the lap belts and got a plug from Home Depot to seal it. The outer shell of fiberglass is easy to drill, but the faom inside may cause problems, due to breakdown, when drilling. I heard people doing it with a hole saw. I would just go slow.