Hauling a canoe wth a half cab

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Still debating switching to a half cab. The largest issue I can find right now is where to put my canoe when I use it. Not a deal breaker; but, certainly something I want to get to the bottom of.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
How bout a support bar all the way at the back. You could make it fit into the supports back there and not have to drill any holes etc. i have also seen some pretty cool hitch engineering where u can slide something into a class 3.

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I was debating something with the hitch. Hoping to no have to re-invent the wheel. :)

What do you mean by support bar in the back?

City
Fort Collins
State
CO
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449837194.644389.jpg
Not mine but.... I thought I had a picture of this Scrambler with a kayak on the frame but I couldn't find it. I'll keep looking but you get the point. I remember reading a post on Facebook under the picture and the owner said with the canoe/kayak on top and some gear in the bed he could still see to back up, which was part of his plan when he built the rack.... I'll keep looking for that picture.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Here's some great options. Although for those prices you could probably fab something yourself.

https://www.etrailer.com/comparison.aspx?pc=RTL002&pc2=TH997

Actually, I like this idea, or a version of it the best. You could fab base brackets to mount on the roll bar kicker feet.

Or, the inexpensive route... or use this idea and modify to suite.

Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
On my cj7's front bumper I welded a piece of metal gas line (probably 2"), then got a long (probably 1 1/2") and a screw flange. On the flange I bolted a 2' piece of 2x4. Set the height with the canoe on the roll bar and the 2x4, drilled a hole through the metal pipes. When I wanted to go fishing, I put the pipe in the bumper pipe, put a bolt through the hole, tossed the canoe on, strap and go. You can also do this combined with Randy's and you would be set. This setup was used in the 80's before Randy's setup was around.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
Here's my cheap solution that has proven invaluable hauling not just a canoe but lumber (up to multiple 24' PT 2x10's).

The rack is made from a combination of top rail (chain link) and large diameter electrical conduit from the local big box store.

There are two 12" pieces bolted vertically just inside the tailgate... the rack slides in and out of those... nothing else secures it (although I do have some holes drilled through the vertical pieces to accept pins.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
Excellent. I assume it breaks down pretty easily? I love the simplicity. Thanks!
Yes, it just slides in and out.

In these photos, you can see the mounting tubes it slides into... the mounting tubes are sleeved so the outside diameter of the rack fits snuggly and bolted to the cj8 tub (yes, i had to drill)

The visible hole you see is for a pin to secure the rack to the mounting tube, but I find I rarely need it (especially if the load is tied down to the bumpers).

Last edited: