• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Head Light Upgrade

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
So I just upgraded my headlights on the CJ-8 and WOW!! What a difference!

I thought I'd post a few pics (although it's difficult to catch with a camera for a novice photographer like me). I didn't bother posting a wiring diagram as I figured it was simple enough, but if someone needs help, I'll draw it up.

Bought the Hella lights mainly because they look as close to stock as possible. Hellas (on the right) are a little flatter than the original seal beams (left).
IMG_20140203_195015-1.jpg

I paid the extra bucks for the higher powered bulbs.
IMG_20140203_195142-1.jpg
IMG_20140203_195155-1.jpg

I did the multi point fuel injection mode from a 1994 grand cherokee, and there was plenty of room for more relays and fuses in the box.
IMG_20140205_204044-1.jpg

Final installation looks pretty close to original.
IMG_20140208_184131-1.jpg

Dim lights with sealed beams
IMG_20140131_202328-1.jpg

Dim lights with new H4 bulbs
IMG_20140208_184810-1.jpg

Brights with sealed beams
IMG_20140131_202341-1.jpg

Brights with new H4 bulbs
IMG_20140208_184823-1.jpg

I should have taken a picture with the standard wattage H4 bulbs for comparison, but I got lazy.

During the re-wiring, I also added a hot line directly to my bass amp. Now, with the lights on and radio going, the volt meter never drops below 13 (as opposed to the 10 1/2 during those really hard hitting zydeco tunes) :drool:

I used the original wires to the headlights to trigger the relays and then 14 gauge wire back to some new ceramic plugs and headlights. The Hella lights fit like a glove.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Thanks for posting the pics. I bought the H4 bulbs and then the wireing kit from Speedway but haven't installed it yet. Nice to see the difference that this upgrade makes.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
GR8dain,

Here was the lights I got from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9QK6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Upgraded headlight sockets
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097AA478/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Upgraded bulbs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COBLKW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really nice ratcheting type crimp tool
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002STTSY/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really nice heat shrink crimp connectors
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PHFNJC/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had previously upgraded to electronic fuel injection with parts from a grand cherokee, so that's where the relay/fuse box came from (I had mounted it previously). You don't have to rewire at all. The stock CJ set up runs full power through your light switch in your cab and then to the headlights - all with relatively thin wire. That results in some voltage drop at the headlight and also results in a lot of amps in that light switch. I've had one of those switches melt on me in the past (and I think others have also). It's not the best design in the world. Rewiring to use the stock wires for a trigger to a relay solves this issue. You can buy some pre-made harnesses like Kim Dawson, or make your own. I chose to make my own simply because I wanted to use my existing relay box.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow. Thanks for the added info. I will start my research.

Dain

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
So I had a request to post more info on exactly how the wiring went. I'm a mechanical engineer, not electrical, so you sparky guys better not laugh.

In our situation, the basic principle of a relay works like this. The 85 lead will always go to ground. The 30 lead will be connected to your power source. Since I was using the cherokee fuse/relay box, I had a built in system where power comes from the alternator/battery through a fuse and then directly to the 30. The 87 lead goes to what your are trying to power up: in our case the headlight. The 86 lead comes from the trigger. The easiest thing to do is use your old wires that used to power the headlights as the new trigger. When you pull your headlight switch, instead of sending electricity to a headlight, you will send electricity to the 86 lead. Don't worry about the 87a lead.

relay-1.jpg

The headlight plug will have 3 wires. The black wire needs to be grounded, the white wire is the low beam positive, and the white wire with a red stripe is the high beam. Your wiring may not be the same as the PO on this Jeep did some crazy stuff.

This is a picture of the relay/fuse box BEFORE the mod. The only thing I needed was fuses for the power coming from the alternator and the fuel pump and fuel pump shut down relays.

IMG_20140205_204044-1.jpg

This is a picture AFTER the mod. I've added 4 more relays - bright headlights, dim headlights, horn, fog lights.

IMG_20140214_210324-1.jpg

I used 14 gauge wire from the 87 of the relay to the headlight. Overkill? Maybe.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Yep used almost the same kit when i upgrade to hid.

Sent from my SM-N910P

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So I have already upgraded the lights on the CJ to H4s. Awesome upgrade I might add. Looking to do the same to my son's 67 Impala as a Christmas present. Was contemplating LEDs but can't say I like the look. Or the cost, really.

Anyone use LEDs in their CJ? I might just do the harness and H4s like I did on the CJ. The Impala has 2 more hi beams as well. I should do those as well, I assume. Thoughts?

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
On the scrambler build i will be using the led conversion bulbs for h4. I have the hid h4s in my 7 and love the light.but take some time to warm up. The led supposed to have more light output and instant on..

sent from my flaming samsung note7

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
On the scrambler build i will be using the led conversion bulbs for h4. I have the hid h4s in my 7 and love the light.but take some time to warm up. The led supposed to have more light output and instant on..

Are you going to use headlights that have a heating element to keep them from icing up? I was not sure if they were worth it in the DC area but in NY, I would imagine it would be.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
The heat sink is on the bulbs themselves.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The heat sink is on the bulbs themselves.

You lost me. What do you mean? The halogens produce heat keeping the round glass/plastic housing from having ice collect on them. I thought LEDs did not produce heat, thus the housing stays cold allowing ice to form. Do these LEDs produce heat?

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Of course they do. There is always heat loss with light. Not as much as a edison bulb that is ir light. But led uses drivers and emitters to make the light. House Ac versions leds are hot also. Not burn your hand hot but warm.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
The icing on the lens is probably correct but i dont really use it in winter unless it snows and by then my whole grill is covered in snow lol.