Headers and Mufflers

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Suwanee
State
GA
A PO of my Scrambler installed an early Chevy 350 V8 that currently has un-coated Hedman headers and a pair of crappy oval mufflers that hang down past the frame rails (why they were installed with the long width up and down, I will never know). The headers are thoroughly rusted and have some leaks, mainly in the connection between the headers and the collection adapter.

20191207_162053.jpg

I want to replace the headers and mufflers but I am not quite sure what would be the best option out there. I like the Hedman Header brand. I can get the same bare steel headers for fairly cheap or I can go with a heavier set with a ceramic coating (like these...headers or these...headers) that might hold up better in the long run. I also want to get some new mufflers that don't hang down past the frame rails. I was looking at some round Flowmaster (Flowmaster) ones, but I really don't have much of a clue as to what kind would be a good option.

For those of you running V8's and dual exhausts, what do you have and why do you like (or dislike) it?

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I've got Magnaflows on mine, and I like them. Loud when you want, quiet when you don't. I like dual because it's been easier to work on, no routing in the way of drivetrain access, etc. I can take some pictures of my layout if you think it might help.

I got my manifolds (OEM Corvette C6) ceramic coated by JetHot. Don't know if I'd do it again, but I'm happy with them.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow, those do hang down!
I think ceramic coated headers are the way to go if you don’t run regular manifolds.
I have run Flowmasters, and I really don’t care for the drone at highway speeds. I hear the 50 series are quieter but I have no personal experience. I also have used the Thrush Welded mufflers and they are loud and have some drone too. Just installed a set of Dynomax stainless mufflers on my build, but it will be a while until I know if I like them. A turbo style muffler generally gives the quietest performance sounding exhaust- I had some Raptor turbos and they weren’t bad.
Unfortunately picking mufflers is like picking seats- you don’t really know if you will like them until they’re purchased and installed.

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Thanks for the replies fellas.

What I have now is pretty loud and it rattles a bunch because of the loose connections from the headers to the main pipe.

I have heard good things about the Magnaflows too, so I will check those out as well.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Stock manifolds and dual flow masters. Had a cj with side exhaust. Used flow master Hush Power. Quiet deep sound

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Check out Jones Exhaust....summit racing distributes there products. Made in the USA and excellent quality, great prices and tons of sizes/types.
I believe they manufacture for the big names, but also sell under there own brand for much less.

I am running this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-mf2298 with a ceramic coated shorty headers. Duals in from headers with a 3" single tail pipe.

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Check out Jones Exhaust....summit racing distributes there products. Made in the USA and excellent quality, great prices and tons of sizes/types.
I believe they manufacture for the big names, but also sell under there own brand for much less.

I am running this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-mf2298 with a ceramic coated shorty headers. Duals in from headers with a 3" single tail pipe.
Good to know. Thanks!

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
And it sounds good... but not too loud in my opinion. Throatier/deeper tone and a little quieter than the flowmaster 3 chamber I was running of the same configuration

Yumalee

Basic User
City
Yuma
State
AZ
A little late, but here's my take. I have SBC in my '84 Scrambler. I used M.O.R.E. engine mounts. My muffler guy was really pushing of shorty headers and inside the frame plumbing. He said fender well is a pain. I think he's right. I have fender well on my CJ5. Great for opening them up, but kind of have to plumb for mufflers. Anyway, I used the Hedman headers you are looking at. Fit fine and cleared all frame and mounts.

Problem is getting to the spark plugs are a nightmare. I have to use half my tool box just to get the plugs out. The header covers the plugs in different ways and some need extensions, some not. Some need a socket with a hex on the end and uses of an open enc wrench to reach them. #5 plug is so hidden your can't hardly see it. It is shrouded by three exhaust pipes and you'll burn up 90° cables. I ended up buying one 135° cable just for that plug. The driver's side is the worst, but the pass. side needs the hex end socket and wrench on #6 & 8. If you get the wires figured out, everything else fits nicely. My only other problem is those headers are 1 1/2 " tubes. I have a 383 and would like 1 3/4 inch. Hard to find for inside the rails.

I have Flowmasters on the duel pipes. They lay flat, no problems. I can't see any reason the the vertical mount. I'm know sure which series they are, but my motor drowns them out above City speed. I came to this forum looking for info on other headers options. I might be up to sell mine if I come up with an alternative. They're the coated ones.