Headlight and horn fuse location?

karlward

Basic User
City
santa barbara
State
ca
I just purchased an 82 scrambler and the healights and horn don't work. Tailights and turn signal work fine. I found the fuse box under the dash but am unable to read the fuse designations. Is there somewhere where I can see a photo or diagram of the fuse box. I suppose I could start pulling them out one by one but would rather not. Thanks:

4miles

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Fuse Block

Here is a picture of the fuse block....Also check your dimmer switch, the headlights run through it.

karlward

Basic User
City
santa barbara
State
ca
Headlights still

Thanks for the photo. I have removed all the fuses, cleaned them up and reinstalled them...no cigar. There doesn,t seem to be a "headlights" designation on the box. All the fuses looked ok so I will check the switch next. Are you aware of a particular fuse that applies to the headlights? Also would the horn and the headlights operate off the same fuse? Thanks in advance.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I believe that the headlights work off of a circuit breaker, built into the switch. The most likely issue is the dimmer switch has gone bad. The horn itself may be shot, mine was; see if there's voltage at the horn when the button is pressed.

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
The headlight switch is one of those weird ones that pulls power directly from under the hood through the firewall, not from the fuse box. It is protected by a fuse-able link. The power then travels from the switch to the fuse box, and then back to the switch to control the instrument lights on the dash.

Battery > fuse-able link > switch (headlights) > fuse box > switch (dash lights).

The dimmer switch is on the leg from the fuse box.

Last edited:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Try a new Headlight and dimmer switch. It is about $15. You have to pull the knob off the shaft no locking nut or bolt on it.

But really you just pull the whole shaft out of the switch. There is a little locking button on top of the switch body that you depress once the shaft is all the way out to turn lights on. Firm pressure while pulling the shaft and depressing the button should get it out, you may need to rotate at same time. Then you can untwist the locking ring at the base of the switch to remove the assembly.

Often these switched go bad. Really not that big of a job to replace.

As for the horn. Remove the Horn button and check for 12 on the wire up through the center of shaft. Real possible that corrosion in the contact area is causing problem.

Carl

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
I believe the 12 volts that feeds the headlights is the same 12 volts that feeds the horn. Are your instrument lights also dead or do they have power? Is your brake light on the dash lighting up when you turn the key to on?

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
the horn also runs through a relay which is near the column, bundled with the wiring. I have replaced one on every one of the CJ's I have ever owned.

Question though....with the key "on"...push the horn button. You should hear a single click from behind the dash...if you dont hear a click with each push of the button, its the relay or the contacts within the switch itself..

If you do hear a click, the relay is good, as is the switch...replace the horn.

Good luck!