Heated Windscreen

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
I was wondering if anybody knows if somebody makes a heated front windscreen for the CJ or if a glass shop can make something like this? I saw this available for old series land rovers. I asked a glass shop here in Phoenix and they had never heard of any such thing for any vehicles (granted why would they here). I am needing to replace my windscreen and this would be a good option if it was available.

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLK852&type=4&eq=

Btw: I spend a lot of time looking at old Land Rovers and Toyotas as there is often more speciality kind of stuff available for them especially overseas. Their aftermarket stuff has a bigger focus on improvements (and some factory options which are great ideas as well) than our Jeeps due (we seem to focus more on ascetics and big suspension/tires...). Having driven and used a lot of these vehicles I try to combine a mix of what I liked...

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Not really a financially viable option. I was in the glass business for 30 years. There were a few options for a heated windshield on several vehicles. Ford Taurus, Lincolns, etc. They actually coated the PVB (vinyl) inner layer with a thin film of a conductor like gold. It was problematic to say the least.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Not heated glass but there are heating systems for you washer fluid available. i picked one up at a automotive flea market brand new for $15. Have it installed it yet. may put on my plow truvk instead of my Jeep.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Never had it myself but its either an option or standard on a lot of cars now over here in the UK.
Theres a thin wire element buried in the screen, you can actually see it but its that thin it doesn't obscure your view and it demists and defrosts the screen annoyingly quickly whilst i still have to scrape mine:(

Brilliant idea for a CJ with its excellent demisting features..... but if its not available in the States then we wont be getting it either.

Quick google and these guys came up, no Jeep mentioned but it must be easily done if they have so many for classic cars with curved screens.
http://www.heatedwindscreens.com/acatalog/land-rover-heated-windscreens.html

Last edited:

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Yeah, I saw them.

Thinking I might contact them. Surely a slight tweak in sizes to the Defender windscreen and they could make it for the CJ. I just would guess it won't come with our US DOT stamp so even if it is equivalent it won't pass an inspection here...

My thought was more the fogging/misting advantage than the deicing...

Never had it myself but its either an option or standard on a lot of cars now over here in the UK.
Theres a thin wire element buried in the screen, you can actually see it but its that thin it doesn't obscure your view and it demists and defrosts the screen annoyingly quickly whilst i still have to scrape mine:(

Brilliant idea for a CJ with its excellent demisting features..... but if its not available in the States then we wont be getting it either.

Quick google and these guys came up, no Jeep mentioned but it must be easily done if they have so many for classic cars with curved screens.
http://www.heatedwindscreens.com/acatalog/land-rover-heated-windscreens.html

City
Halifax
State
UK
judging by all they sell i assume they must be making the windscreens themselves and they should have some sort of standards approval on them even if its a UK one.
If you do enquire about one i have my old cracked (but still in one piece) windscreen if they need a correct sized sample for yours, it was heading slowly towards the glass skip to be recycled but may yet still prove useful;)

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
To rich for me but remember there always old reliable harbor freight car defroster.. New and improved so it won't burst into flames.. That reminds me I still have to fix that heater motor one day.. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L900