joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Does anyone have experience replacing the vent/ heat cable? Mine was difficult to operate into the vent position. I made the mistake of pulling it too hard and broke the plastic housing where the cable attaches to the dash. Upon closer inspection, it appears this connection had been bandaged before. Does anyone have experience replacing this cable and if so do you have any tips? Also, it looks like a lot of vendors sell replacement cables for <$20. Or there is All State 4wd Whse Inc. on ebay who is selling made in the USA cables for $30-40/ cable. Has anyone used these and are they worth the premium?

Second question (unrelated). My kids are telling me adding a back seat is a high priority. Do you guys have a preference for rear seats and belts? I'd like to do as little drilling as possible and I'd like it to match my front seats which I believe are "black denim" (sort of a dark gray almost black with a fine texture). Fold and tumble or an easy quick release would be a plus. Thanks for any advice.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
No drilling should be needed if you use a back seat from a CJ-7. The holes are already in the bed, if it's the original floor.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I have replaced the vent one with a $20 special and is crap. Try the other one and let us know if it mounts to the dash well. That's where mine is not very good

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Do some searching on the forum....If I recall; someone found some really good quality cables a few months back that weren't much more expensive but just weren't "perfect" for the look of the knob. Unless you are creeating a 10/10 restoration, I'd take quality over perfect accuracy any time.

KK

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Thanks. I am going to order these. These look the same as the ones I was looking at from All State http://stores.ebay.com/JEEP-PARTS-CJ-PARTS-WRANGLER-PARTS/13-JEEP-HEATING-AC-PARTS-/_i.html?_fsub=179507010&_sid=25000690&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 but Barney's has a better price. Was planning to just replace the broken one, but looks like the better deal is to order the whole set and have them match... I am having a hard time seeing where the Heat/ vent cable attaches. Does anyone know if this can be replaced without removing the dash?

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
I finally got around to ordering the MTS cables and they got delivered yesterday. I ordered the set of 3- hoping to install this weekend. It takes flexibility that I barely have to get under there to where i can sort of see where some of the cables connect. Wondering if I need to pull the dash forward to make the job easier?- Has anyone done this to a jeep that is not under construction and do you have any advice?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
You may find it easier to pull the drivers seat. Then you can put some blankets on the floor and lay on your back. Makes it easier.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Just got done installing the MTS cables. They fit and work great and are much better quality than the originals i removed. It didn't take long to realize this would be nearly impossible for me to do from under the dash so I ended up pulling the dash forward- this is definately the way to do this for anyone considering/ needing to replace them. Also allowed me discover and remove the deteriorated defrost duct which i will be replacing before putting everything back to together.

As part of this weekend project, I also ordered a new cowl seal since mine had been painted and was dry rotting. The seal I purchased from Barney's Jeep parts on ebay seemed very close to the old seal that I removed, however the bottom edge of the seal is about 1/2" proud from the tub. Is this correct? my old one did not have this projection. Maybe this projection is intended to be a drip edge for water running down the windshield? See attached pics. Also do you typically apply sealant between the cowl seal and windshield frame? Thanks for the help! cowl seal 1-LR.jpg cowl seal 2-LR.jpg cowl seal 3-LR.jpg cowl seal 4-LR.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
If I'm viewing it correct, on the outside cowl, the gasket is sticking out from the tub about 1/2" or so. On the cj8 I'm doing, I ordered one from ebay and tried to install. The inside of the gasket was too thick and wouldn't allow the windshield to come back enough. Ended up cleaning and reusing the original. Even with that, the bottom of the gasket on the wiper side of the frame was pretty close the tub cowl (in size). Here's the best pic I could find of the cowl gasket. You may have to blow it up a little.

Attachments

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Yes, you are viewing it correctly- it sticks out about 1/2" out from the lower cowl/ tub. I had read a lot of nightmare posts on other forums about cowl seals that were too thick and did not allow the windshield to close properly. This one seems to fit perfectly in that respect- when i close the windshield i just need to pull on the windshield and apply a little force with one hand to compress it slightly while screwing the lock back in. I am just not sure about it sticking out 1/2" - it seems and looks a little odd, even if water tight. And everything else lines up and seems to fit correctly. My old one was painted and is dry rotted so re-using is not really an option.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
The windshield fits the doors fine. Turned out the cowl seal is not the correct dimension. After sending Barney some pics and talking to him, he declared it bad/ the wrong dimension and is sending me a different one. Hopefully it will fit. This pic shows the difference between original and bad replacement. 2017-03-18 14.55.05.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
If he sends you the correct one, sounds like a true Up & Up guy. Good to see, getting harder to find.

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
@joshvt, did you get the replacement seal from Barney's if you did, can you post pictures? Since I am also doing the heater cables at the moment, I may also replace the cowl seal. I also ordered my cables from Barney's. He shipped very fast and I am very impressed with the cables.