Heater Cable

Dodster

SOA Member
City
Mechanicsville
State
Va
Today when replacing dash knobs, the ring that holds the heater cable to the dash broke. The cable itself seems fine. How do I reattach the heater cable to the dash?? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Dodd

Dodd,

It is probably best to break down and buy a new cable and assembly if I understand your question fully. Did the plastic completely break? I have broken one or two over the years and initially tried super glue, JB, etc. and finally broke down and bought a new cable. Collins Brothers sells them individually and they are about 15-20 bucks best I can remember. There is more pressure on the base of the cable than you would expect and glue may hold it for the short term, but it will not hold up. You can probably find one for a couple bucks cheaper on the internet than at Collins Brothers, but they do stock them.

Hopefully someone has a cheaper fix, I haven't been able to make it work.

Tom

Dodster

SOA Member
City
Mechanicsville
State
Va
Thanks for the reply Tom. The small bezel that helps hold cable assembly to dash crumbled. Nothing left to glue. I agree with you about getting replacement cable assembly. The old one was sticking a little bit anyway. I did find a couple places that were cheaper than Collins bros. I went with Windrock Offroad.

Dodd

Last edited:

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
City
Columbia
State
SC
billet knobs

after rebuilding mine and messing with the stupid OEM/factory ones, I bought the billet aluminum knows and tighten up onto the cable with a allen screw. Never once had a problem with them after installing them. worked great.. a little pricey compared to new cable but seems like they were $45 or so for a whole set.

Matt

Dodster

SOA Member
City
Mechanicsville
State
Va
Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt but I already have the replacement knobs. I got mine from Krage Motorsports for $18.50.

I was in the process of installing the new knobs when the bezel ring that helps hold air/heater cable to the dash broke into pieces. Heater cable then fell out the back side of dash. All my other knobs went on ok.

I finally got my digital camera working here is a pic of my problem.
You seem to be as knowledgeable as anyone on this board. Any ideas how to get the cable reattached to the dash??

Dodd

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
Dodster,

I just got a whole new set of cables, so you can have the bezel off my old heater cables. It will be a week or two though. Just send me an address.

Bill

Dodster

SOA Member
City
Mechanicsville
State
Va
Thanks Bill

I'll pm you with my address. I will reimburse you for shipping costs. Thanks a lot brother!!

Dodd

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
Best Thing

Dodd i know you don't want to hear this but the best thing is to replace it........It might be saved if you can find the right sized washer to shim the housing and keep it from coming thru the dash........I've used body washers a few times and sometimes you have to drill them out to work,for the $20.00 to replace it,it might be worth it by the time you buy the washers and drill them and fit it..........very time consuming but............it's your choice-JC ;)

Dodster

SOA Member
City
Mechanicsville
State
Va
Jc

Thanks for getting back JC. I did find a cable at Windrock 4x4 for $10.50. I bit the bullet and bought one. I just wanted to know if there was a slick trick I wasn't thinking of. Thanks again.

Dodd

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
City
Columbia
State
SC
diddo

If I would have actually read your posting on the first round.. I would have read that it was the cable and not the knob that was broken..

yep, agree with everyone else.. you can probably try to mess around with it but it will just break again or the frustration of trying to rig something will probably be greater than just getting a new cable.

matt