Heater core

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
If you have a stock brass/copper heater core, then definitely keep it!

If it springs a leak, it can be repaired by a radiator shop.

All of the replacement heater cores available right now are aluminum, and several of us have had problems with them corroding and leaking in a short amount of time.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I am in the process of replacing heater core and rebuilding my box with blower upgrade. I searched extensively for a replacement and debated going aluminum but ended up deciding the reviews scared me. The shop that rebuilt my radiator has it now and had to order a new brass/ copper core that they will use with the existing tanks, pipes, bracket, etc. not cheap, but hopefully a permanent fix.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Knock on wood, but ever since I have started using Toyota antifreeze I have had zero problems
^^This^^
Traditional antifreeze is not good with aluminum. Have had no problems with my aluminum heater core but I use modern (red) antifreeze due to having aluminum heads and radiator.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
^^This^^
Traditional antifreeze is not good with aluminum. Have had no problems with my aluminum heater core but I use modern (red) antifreeze due to having aluminum heads and radiator.
Yes that is correct. My heater box is an aluminum core.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Whatever is on sale. Actually I think Prestone has a green "universal" antifreeze out now that is supposed to work just as well.