Hello all - and looking for a Scrambler!

City
Roselle
State
Il
I guess I should officially introduce myself, I've been here a couple weeks already. I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago and it suddenly hit me that I should get a CJ8. Well, not suddenly, it's been brewing for some years. Been looking for something original. Original paint if possible, mechanically sound, don't mind patina, but I wouldn't want to get into a really rusty one.

What's a realistic price range for something like that? I've been trying to gauge price, but it's kind of all over the place. And just like the IROC-Zs I usually fiddle with, once a dealer gets one, the price goes from doable to insane.

BTW, my name is Charlie.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Welcomr to our world. :wave:

An original paint, no rust stockers are getting hard to find, but they are out there. Good luck!

City
Roselle
State
Il
Welcomr to our world. :wave:

An original paint, no rust stockers are getting hard to find, but they are out there. Good luck!
Thanks!

Yeah, we’ll see if I find one. Lots of rusty and/or hacked up ones out there, though. A younger me might even be tempted to go for one of those and “restore” it. But I think I know myself better than that, now. Been there, done that and don't have the energy for that sort of thing. But a nice, old, patina'd , running, Scrambler......well, that's more my speed.

You guys are gonna laugh at this. I’ve been thinking about getting one but never took the plunge. You know what motivated me? Dennis Collins’ Coffee Walk from afew weeks ago. 😆

Last edited:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
It is a hard thing to price but the decent ones, not amazing but decent are going to start around $10,000 for a running CJ with little rust. The all original ones are starting to go up even more now due to the whole survivor status craze. You will need to do you due diligence and have a bit of patience while searching but you will be able to find a good one I am sure.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Welcome Charlie. Search the dry climate Craigslists as much as possible. They will pop up. I'd especially keep an eye on southern California. That's where I found mine. Good luck!

City
Roselle
State
Il
It is a hard thing to price but the decent ones, not amazing but decent are going to start around $10,000 for a running CJ with little rust. The all original ones are starting to go up even more now due to the whole survivor status craze. You will need to do you due diligence and have a bit of patience while searching but you will be able to find a good one I am sure.
Yeah, I kind of figured around $10,000 is the price of admission for a running decent one. As we all know, the hunt is half the fun. :)

City
Roselle
State
Il
Welcome Charlie. Search the dry climate Craigslists as much as possible. They will pop up. I'd especially keep an eye on southern California. That's where I found mine. Good luck!

Thanks. I've started to do just that. I mean, if I'm going to end up paying for shipping, might as well pay to ship from a dry state.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
and shipping is cheaper than bodywork and panel replacement. Be patient, the guys around here are always willing to help.

City
Roselle
State
Il
and shipping is cheaper than bodywork and panel replacement. Be patient, the guys around here are always willing to help.
For sure. It's something I try to stress to anyone who will listen. It might cost a thousand or so to ship something from the southwest to the midwest, where I'm at. How much rust repair can you do for a thousand bucks?

Seems like a great group of guys here, too.

City
Roselle
State
Il
Truer words were never spoken. 😂🤣😭

Btw, I love third gen Camaros. 👍
I've had six. Still have three.

But I ordered this one new: 1989 decal delete, G92, BW 9 bolt 3.45, KC4 oil cooler, N10 dual cats, MK6 T5 5 speed, LB9. It became quickly apparent to me that I wasn't going to drive it to work and park it in the lot and I certainly wasn't going to drive it in the winter! Still have it with 11K miles.

11020754_626449837488316_4876979683192247633_n.jpg

Last edited:
City
Roselle
State
Il
Charlie,
There's no lack of enthusiasm around here to assist other forum members to get their dream Jeep and help you spend more money than your wife should even know about!
Good to know.

Speaking of wives, this here is the car that really stuck in her craw. 1979, AMX, Saxon Yellow, 304, 4 speed. This car spent 20 years under a tree in North Dakota, parked after an accident. Amazingly it was rust free, except for that spot on the door. It didn't run and was critter infested. I'll never get that smell out of my nose.

Word to the wise, if you are getting a field find beater, be there when they drop it off in your driveway. I wasn't, I was at work. BUT.........my wife was!! :oops: This is the pic she texted me minutes later with a not so nice message. :LOL:

I got this car running, (sort of) and cleaned it up. Thank God I found an AMX enthusiast to buy it, because it simply exhausted me.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg