• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Help Choosing Original Paint: Calling all factory blue 8's!!

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
My 81' daily driver was originally Montana blue but due to the severity of the surface rust/patina, I had it repainted in flat black. I recently got another 8 from 82 and am lookign to paint it a factory blue. The year does not need to match as long as it came on a scrambler, I'd be happy. I was considering doing 81' montana blue but now found 81' moonlight blue, and 82' slate blue and deep night blue. Can anyone please please please take some pictures of their rigs for me if their sporting any of these original colors (even montana blue). I'd really appreciate it as I have to let the painter know the color code ASAP. And here are some pics of my DD before paint for good measure

(Taken the day I bought it!)
photo+4.JPG

photo+1.JPG

photo+5.JPG

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Montana blue , Ronald Regans 8. It's a rare one year only color, I think you should go with that !! ;)

Forgive me these aren't 8s but this is 84 orig paint ice blue

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382670604.744739.jpg

And this is 86 original paint medium blue

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382670664.789969.jpg

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Montana blue , Ronald Regans 8. It's a rare one year only color, I think you should go with that !! ;)

Forgive me these aren't 8s but this is 84 orig paint ice blue

View attachment 37722

And this is 86 original paint medium blue

View attachment 37723

I like the ice but I'm not too keen on metallic? Montana has really been my favorite, but I can't tell which shade it really is. In these two pics, are they the same montana blue with different lighting or what? Did Regan have 2?

gdhxoiP.gif

duMPniX.jpg

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Different exposure of the pic. The one of him standing with it is the most Montana too me. Montana is creamy and more subtle. I had an 81 7 in Montana once. That's what it looked like.

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
opelgtboy, is that the slate blue or ice? I dig![/QUOTE]

It is ice blue. When I got the Jeep the paint was original. We went by the color under the dash because the body was so faded. The guy who painted it thought it was ice blue and when he checked he was right. It has about 4 coats of clear on it. It looks different that the pic Jerseyjeeps posted.

Karl

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Here is my same 84 ice blue in a different light different season and different camera. Looks much different.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382711358.508215.jpg

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
If I had to pic the blue I would go with ice.. looks great in those first pictures...

Sent from my SPH-L900

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
Jersey...that new pic is very close to mine. Yours is original so that makes sense why it is a little faded compared to mine.

Karl

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Wow, I apprecaite all the help guys, but now I'm even more torn!! I decided that I'm going to have to order samples. On automotivetouchup.com I'm going to buy samples of each of the colors and then apply them to metal 12x12x12 sheets and look at them in person and from different lights. One issue is that of all the color codes they offer, ice blue isn't there. I found samples of everything else, but for some reason they don't sell it. Mistake? Or am I missing something...

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Ice blue was done 82 to 85 I can take a look at the code either later tonight or tomorrow morning for you

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Ice blue was actually only 84-85 and I also checked the code on my 84 and it is "4C"

Matches up here also :

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382927277.756846.jpg

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
If you need the Dupont color code for the Ice Blue on my Jeep let me know. I have it written down some where.

Karl

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
Ice Blue Metallic! If I remember correctly the paint code was
Shopline Base 3624 & PPG DC 4000 Clear! :fingerscrossed:

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG