Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Guy's

I am doing a frame off restoration and the last thing I need is the steel fuel and brake lines that run along the frame...

any suggestions on where to get these items and what the cost would be? I tried baseline 4x4 but they said they did not have them for a scrambler :-(

manicman1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
thank you sir...he has the brakes but not the fuel...I will keep searching :-)

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Classic Tube and Inline Tube. One of those companies has all of them, the other one just some of them. I got all my lines from both of those companies:thumbsup:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Brake lines...

Since your doing a resto I'd still recomend the SS version. Not really any visual difference and they will last...
You may also try just your local auto parts store. They usually sell it by the foot and it comes in a coil...takes a little work to get it straigntened back out but it is usually less expensive than the specialty folks.

manicman1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
JeepDreamer

I think that is what I am going to do... 25 bucks for a 25 foot roll is certainly less expensive than 200 bucks for the pre-made parts

4miles

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
JeepDreamer

I think that is what I am going to do... 25 bucks for a 25 foot roll is certainly less expensive than 200 bucks for the pre-made parts
That is what I did on my fuel lines using the originals for the bends. Was not that hard to do and saved a few dollars.

manicman1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Looks like you went with a larger tube than the original.....do your recall what size you used for the brakes and which for the fuel?

4miles

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Fuel lines

I only did fuel lines. It already had a stainless set for brakes when I bought mine. I used original sizes which I believe were 5/16 for the tank vent line and 1/4 for the return line. I did not do the supply line (5/16) because it was in good shape from being covered with preservative (oil). I used original size knowing I was going to stay with 6cyl. All the tubing fit with out having to adapt anything.

cruser

Legacy Registered User
City
Buffalo Gap
State
TX
It already had a stainless set for brakes when I bought mine. I used original sizes which I believe were 5/16 for the tank vent line and 1/4 for the return line
Rick..... I kinda revived this thread but I wanted to bring up a problem I am encountering with the brake line that comes in at the rear facing of the proportion valve. It seems the brake line fitting is smaller than the opening on the valve ?:banghead:

Am I missing something ? The brake lines are inline SS and the valve is brass OEM....:confused:

:popcorn:

4miles

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Rick..... I kinda revived this thread but I wanted to bring up a problem I am encountering with the brake line that comes in at the rear facing of the proportion valve. It seems the brake line fitting is smaller than the opening on the valve ?:banghead:

Am I missing something ? The brake lines are inline SS and the valve is brass OEM....:confused:

:popcorn:
Mine were ordered by PO and I am about sure that he ordered after switching out to power brakes. Not sure if he changed combination valve, but would imagine he did. There are 3 different sizes of fittings to the brake lines. On mine the rear and the rear one on the top to the master cylinder take a 7/16" wrench. The other forward one on the top from the master cylinder takes a 1/2" wrench. The the 2 going to the front brakes take a 3/8" wrench.

Not sure where you got your set, but looking at Inline Tubes website (below) there looks like there are 4 different sets depending on year and standard or power. I would contact the tech support from either Inline or Classic and see what your options are.

1981-85 Jeep CJ8 Brake Lines
1981-82 Standard Brake Set Wide Axle Model 20 7pc
1981-82 Power Brake Set Wide Axle Model 20 7pc
1983-85 Standard Brake Set Wide Axle Model 20 7pc
1983-85 Power Brake Set Wide Axle Model 20 7pc

cruser

Legacy Registered User
City
Buffalo Gap
State
TX
I called the guys at Inline. I decided to get a new part. I could of used the one that was on the jeep. Decided it was not worth the risk I suppose. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Tom

:smokin::smokin::smokin: