!!!!!!Help going back to carb!!!!!!

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
What's up guys?! Been a while since I've been on. Hope everyone is doing well. Life has been crazy with a new baby and remodeling a house. My jeep has a junk yard this set up on it and I have suspicion that after having a battery short on me I have fried the computer. I have really had nothing but problems with set up and it looks like crap under he hood too. Anyway I want to go back with a carb and go ahead while I'm at it and do a header and exhaust. I have the header and exhaust taken care of but need help with the parts to go back with a carb set up. Could anyone list out what I'll need? Engine has no performance mods so I'm guessing basic 2 barrel? Mechanical fuel pump? Old style distributor? What am I missing other than figuring out what I have to remove with all the TBI crap?

Thanks!
Brett

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Don't go back to the carb. Fix the TBI. Or even better, go to multi point fuel injection.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I'm sure that you are probably right but at this point I just want to drive it. I may go back with it but the whole gobbled up mess needs to be redone and clean up. I have no way to check to see what is going on with it as of now other and pulling plugs and making sure sensors are good. I have no way to trouble shoot it the way it is set up now. I will be tearing the whole jeep back apart in a few years to redo it again due to cheap crappy paint and a poor decision in seats and raptor liner coming off so when it is tore apart I will look at getting the TBI set up correctly.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
If you have the Howell TBI on there now, then all you really need to do is remove the throttle body grab a MC2100 and adapter and swap. The distributor from before should work. If it is bad a HEI type replacement is easy.

Siince you are in pickens you should look at

CHRIS DURHAM MOTORSPORTS
120 ROBERTA DR
PICKENS, SC 29671
Tel-864-420-1274
Fax-864-306-3743

He is a pretty good guy out in the sticks and I bet he can figure out whatever is wrong with yours. I have no direct connections to him, but have had several fair dealings with him over time.

Carl

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I know Chris and he has worked on mine and my dad's other jeeps in the past. Great guy! He went to school with my sister. It's a small town kinda thang you know. It is a junkyard TBI so nothing makes sense looking at it. From reading before about the junk yard TBI's I thought there was a modification that had to be done to the distributor like welding something to make it work.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
I think the only thing that a Howell needs is a tach signal from the Dist. So tht can actually be split between a gauge and the computer. The MPFI has a lot more restrictions, but a regular Howell type which a junkyard should be can use just about and dist.

Carl

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
For what you are going to spend on parts to convert back to a carb you could probably pay someone to straighten out your TBI system and still have a far better setup than with the carb. Electronics and computers can be frustrating but it's still not rocket science.