• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Help w/ Tie Rod Length & Adjustment

aggiezig

City
Los Angeles
State
CA
Hi Everyone,

New member here with a 1981 Scrambler that we are doing some mild restoration work on. I ordered a set of brand new Moog tie rod ends and components (ES62L, ES140R & DS911) to replace the worn-out parts that came on the Jeep when we bought it. I noticed that when I took everything apart, the tie rod ends were adjusted "all the way in" meaning the thread were spun all the way into the tie rod, leaving no additional room for toe-in adjustment. I thought that was strange but went ahead with replacing the new parts.

Now, with the new parts in place, I'm at the same situation and having an issue. With the tie rod ends spun all the way "in" meaning max toe-in adjustment, I'm still looking at two front wheels that are approximately 1/4" or so toe-out! I checked the length of the tie rod and it was about 40.5" which seems correct for a narrow track front axle.

Worth mentioning, the Jeep does have a Con-Ferr shackle lift. I think it's the 1.75" lift but not 100% sure. I don't know if that would affect tie rod length at all, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Has anyone else run into this issue before? I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something stupid / simple or if maybe these new Moog parts arent made to the right spec.

Any ideas would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Does the existing adjusting link have the same length as this one?
moog.PNG

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Cut .25” off of each end of the tie rod. That should give you enough adjustment to get it right and not be irreversible if you need to change it.

aggiezig

City
Los Angeles
State
CA
Cut .25” off of each end of the tie rod. That should give you enough adjustment to get it right and not be irreversible if you need to change it.
I've had that thought... Do you think there is enough thread in the hole for the TRE to keep spinning?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I've had that thought... Do you think there is enough thread in the hole for the TRE to keep spinning?
That should be easy enough to check visually- but I believe there is.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Usually it is and easy to check, like Randy said.