• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Help with cross member angle bracket. What's it for?

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I am in the process of reassembling my Scrambler and wanted to paint some lose parts.

I can't find this angle bracket that was screwed into the cross member that the rear side of the fuel tank bolts to.

I can make one easy enough but what is it for? All my pics show it bolted on but not doing much?

Thanks!
George

Cross Member angle bracket.JPG

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
It keeps the sharp edge of the sheet metal away from the tank in case of a rear end collision.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Side shot to assist with correct shape as i had the piece and was trying to work out where it came from earlier in the year.....

20200604_185659_resized.jpg

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
It keeps the sharp edge of the sheet metal away from the tank in case of a rear end collision.

Thank you! Makes sense! Especially for the plastic stock tank.

Although my tank is a TrailQuest steel 23 gal tank. I just stripped off the paint/rust to give it some fresh primer/paint.

Tank 1.JPG

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Thank you! Makes sense! Especially for the plastic stock tank.

Although my tank is a TrailQuest steel 23 gal tank. I just stripped off the paint/rust to give it some fresh primer/paint.

View attachment 87035
Those were great tanks. Especially for fuel injection conversions. Too bad they stopped making them.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I had one that looked just like that that I think was 21-22 gallons. My only problem with it was it hung to low, especially in deep ruts.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I had one that looked just like that that I think was 21-22 gallons. My only problem with it was it hung to low, especially in deep ruts.

This one is 23 gallons. Love it. It has the steel skid plate welded on. With the SOA and 35's it has good clearance. Has taken a beating on the Rubicon and Moab over the years.

I have a 1" body lift. I will probably cut the mounting tabs off and re-weld them 1" lower. That would tuck it up 1" higher for a little more clearance.
Tank Dents.JPG