Help with OME Springs and Bushings

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
This may a "dumb" question. But I was finally putting going to put by rear suspension back together and of course ran into an issue. I have new Old Man Emu (OME) springs. I'm going with the 36R's all the way around. Although not necessary I replaced the rear shackle hangers with MORE hangers and shackles with 1.25 bushings. The issue or possible issue, I ran into is while the new bushings are the right diameter, there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the spring eye and the bushing shoulder. I measured the length across the inside of the bushing is 2.5' but the width of the OME spring eye at the shackle is 2.25'. So it is not an issue that the bushings aren't pressed in all the way. Is this normal or acceptable? I believe OME springs are popular, has anyone else had this issue? Is this a case in which I must use OME bushing? I'll be honest I was not found of the bright yellow bushings so was trying to avoid going that route but I will if it's a must at this point. It may also be the case that it is completely normal to have a gap and between the bushing and spring eye and since I pretty much have almost no clue what I'm doing I could just be worried about absolutely nothing.

For those that are visual: IMG_5550.jpg
IMG_5551.jpg IMG_5548.jpg IMG_5549.jpg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Did you measure their yellow bushings? I’d cut the black ones down the quarter inch and move on.

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
Unfortunately I don’t have the OME bushings to measure. I think I would be better off cutting them down rather then buying more. Just wasn’t sure if it was fine as is or if there needs to be a gap.

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
Unfortunately I don’t have the OME bushings to measure. I think I would be better off cutting them down rather then buying more. Just wasn’t sure if it was fine as is or if there needs to be a gap.
After sleeping on it and some further thoughts, cutting the bushings down would also entail cutting down the sleeve. But then it might been too small for the shackle without cutting down the cross bar on the shackle. All of that seems like it might be a lot of work.

jpnmaine

CJ-8.com Member
City
East Wilton
State
ME
Wondering what you came up with to resolve this. Don't like the yellow OME bushings either, so I plan on using factory bushings in the OME's that I have. All of that is on hold for the moment.....just to nice out to be in.