• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Here Goes Nothin’-The Rosco1974 Build Story

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Having never welded a panel, done a complete paint job or filed for bankruptcy I would like to introduce you to my new project.

The Good: Came with new floor pans and rear frame support (from PO cutting off with welded on bumper), sliding rear window, there is a bulkhead, no rust in windshield frame, T-18 with 6.32:1 and two Dana 20 cases to sell.

The Bad: see pics, no motor, Dana 44s consist of a NT drum front and DJ rear, frame needs some work from PO cutting off things PO 2x removed welded on, cut up dash and harness, no seats or risers, fenders and hood only good enough to make a wall hanger.

Build Plan: TBD. Due to condition this is a blank canvas. Immediate plans are to learn some basic body skills by replacing the blown out panels/floor, taking it down to bare metal, body prep and paint. This is where any your knowledge and experience will be frequently called upon. Past that I am thinking SOA 44s, tube fenders, armor and a full length cage. Motor/trans are open based on what comes up, but 4.0L with AW4 XJs are cheap around here and likely a long way away....

2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg10.jpg12.jpg14.jpg

Attachments

• Main.jpg
    Main.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 373

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
Way to go! I’m impressed that you picked up this as your first “weld stuff” project. My level of skill is about what you describe, and I’d be afraid to jump into water that deep.... but am more than happy to cheer you on!

Subscribed.
B2

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Its sure the deep end of the pool for me. I am passing on building my YJ into a trail rig for this, so this will likely fill that role. No need for perfection. Solid, painted, mechanically sound is the goal.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'll be watching! Looks like a good plan.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
It always amazes me how much bondo people slather on figuring that will fix the problem. That looks like 1/4 inch thick on that rear quarter.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I’ve seen a lot worse saved. Anxiously subscribed. :thumbsup:

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
I hadn't done much welding when I picked mine up. I started at one rocker panel and worked my way around - there is a definite difference in quality between where I started and ended. I'd highly recommend a bottle of gas if you're mig welding, and starting off on things that may get hidden/covered. You'll gain some skills in the process!

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I'd highly recommend a bottle of gas if you're mig welding, and starting off on things that may get hidden/covered. You'll gain some skills in the process!

For sure on that.

This jeep was hard to inspect due to being in a storage unit and being used as a storage locker. Had a few minutes last night. Went out to the shop for the first time since rolling it off the trailer. Took 3 beers and a new pack of die grinder discs. Two hours later I came back into the house with a list and poured 4 fingers of scotch.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I second the gas for your welder. I restored my first jeep without argon. Much more prep prior to painting. Should be a fun project!

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
So, I had more time to spend this weekend. I understand its practically a sacrilegious question: Has anyone here cut a CJ8 into CJ-10 like cab? Knowing 1) this is not a “solid” CJ8, 2) I already have a really nice CJ8, 3) its destined to be a trail rig and 3) I have always wanted a trail CJ-10. I have looked at the structure and the floor riser is good, but behind needs a lot. The area in front of is basic floor/side/fire wall stuff. A flat bed could also solve several of the lift, wheel house and flare issues with running 36” tires. The cut line could go vertical with a closed off CJ5 rear or angled with the half cab divider panel spot welded, braced and seam sealed with a rounded corner welded in. The cab mounts are in front of the cut line either way.

Cut Line.jpg

On the bright side, I found a used ½ cab cage, suspension seats and rock sliders local.

Cage.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
If you want to do the cj10 kind of thing, why not sell that body and whack up a YJ body which could be probably found cleaner and for less money than you could get for the CJ tub. The part you want to use is just about the same thing with the exception of defroster duct work and maybe a few other small things like Joop instead of Jeep on the side.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
If you want to do the cj10 kind of thing, why not sell that body and whack up a YJ body which could be probably found cleaner and for less money than you could get for the CJ tub. The part you want to use is just about the same thing with the exception of defroster duct work and maybe a few other small things like Joop instead of Jeep on the side.

Thats an interesting point. I dont prefer the CJ10 setup over the 8, just considering my options. Doing all the metal work to fight wheel clearance and beat it up seems counterproductive. Cutting it saves the rear metal cost/work while keeping the wheelbase I like.

I had not considered the YJ option you gave. Its very valid. I dont think I would separate the 8 body and frame though. A whacked up YJ body is great on a YJ frame. I would probably sell them and pass along to someone who wants to build it.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I'm not known to be a purest, but you are starting with a better tub than most have. I know I would kill to start with an 8 with the sheet metal that good. I would leave it. I have a nice YJ tub from Texas and nothing to put it on, but bought it because it was so rust free and we don't see that around here. Stick it out and enjoy the work. If you go in thinking its going to be too big a job, it will be. If you go in thinking, Man I am going to enjoy this, you just might. Take your time, it makes it easier that way.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
you are starting with a better tub than most have. I know I would kill to start with an 8 with the sheet metal that good. I would leave it.

I am starting to gain that perspective. Spoke with mhinchliffe the other day and he said the same. I think my perspective is driven by what I already have and whats available in the local area. Case in point: I took the advice from barrys and found this YJ in the local classifieds. Its an 89 4cyl with 178K that was parked 7 years ago for the sliding on the ice and damaging the PS front fender and DS rear corner. It was $1300, complete other than fuel tank with great sides and floors. I can do a basic part out (motor, trans, xfer case, wheels, axles, seats, risers, etc) and keep the rest for basically free.

yj1.jpgyj2.jpgyj3.jpg

On the surface this should cut out a ton of work building the CJ8 (less metal work, intact harness, heater assembly, pedal assembly and master cylinder, etc), but what it actually does is put pressure on me to stop and just cut up a free YJ. To further confuse the issue a buddy offered to lengthen a 6cyl YJ frame to CJ8 specs and I could just build what I want on top.

I have some time this weekend. Time to take stock. Had not intention to make this as convoluted as I did. I really appreciate everyone's continued input and support.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
This is going to be the shortest build thread in history. Should change the title to “false start”.

I have decided to build the white YJ. It just checks off too many boxes: basically free after parting, found a really clean 6cyl frame for $250, needs corner/fender/paint, already have an MJ D44 if Ii keep the 5 on 4.5”, can sell my 92 YJ that I initially intended to build and I won’t feel bad about cutting it up.

I am still going to do some general work on the 8. Plan on putting the body on the frame, mount the used fenders/hood/grill I found. After that, it will find a new home.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I will do all the work for you and take that Mustang in trade for sevices rendered. :bacon:

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I will do all the work for you and take that Mustang in trade for sevices rendered. :bacon:

I like your thinking. I discovered a crack on the rear stamped framerail and the tub inner is separating from the floor. Just adding onto the stuff to burn through $$ on.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hope this goes to a good home and ends up being a great rig for someone on here :thumbsup: