Buffalo Gap
State
TX
Before.... Nov 2010

image.jpg

After.... Jan 2014

image.jpg

Looks like a surgery goin on here. :banghead:

This will make the third engine. The first had a hairline crack in the block. Three times a charm. One thing is for sure, I can pull an engine and replace it myself now...lol. I will post some pictures later of several parts I have post build just in case some of you may need them before I post them up on CL.

Attachments

Last edited:

cruser

Legacy Registered User
City
Buffalo Gap
State
TX
This one was a reman through NAPA. It rolled about 45 miles and decided that a rod needed to knock like a 25 YO belt washer in spin mode. I have my suspicions, all of them are things that I might NOT have done but then again I have been pretty meticulous about start up and things of that nature. The tech rep at ATK had me do some tests before he declared I needed another one. Unfortunately the warranty contract with NAPA says 50.00 an hour to a shop to do the job. I asked him if he thought there was anyone in their right mind would do it for that much, he said probably not. The shop I work with gets 90.00 an hour. Don't get me wrong, I am not angry. I believe in things are gonna happen, heck I have gotten more experience out of it than I would have expected. But. I am wanting to enjoy it. In the 5 days it was on the road I got pulled over by random jeep lovers twice. After the initial amber to red threat mode (freaky behavior), it turned into a great conversation. I won't have any issue selling this rig that's for sure.

Last edited:

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
I learned the hard way to go with a private shop and stay away from generic remans. Some people have success with them and others not. I think the last engine I went with was for my 1941 IHC M-1-4--rare truck and engine--the first rebuild was a mess and the parts alone (mains and cons+ pistons topped $2000!). I finally found a shop that did things right and I had it balanced and so on in the process. It runs like a champ and you can barely hear it. I recommend having the 6 balanced if you can--including the flywheel. It makes all the difference. I currently have a 4.2 by them and likely the rebuild with assembly will hit around $2000 or a little more but it's piece of mind and they back up there work and come by to help you install it and set it up to make sure all is correct. They did my AMX's 390 and darn that thing ran sweet..... they timed it for me and tweaked the carb as well!

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I finally found a shop that did things right and I had it balanced and so on in the process. It runs like a champ and you can barely hear it. I recommend having the 6 balanced if you can--including the flywheel.
The last 258 I had built, I balanced the bottom end of it. What a difference! purred like a kitten and throttle response was great because the engine spun up fast! it was awesome!! Its great advice and worth the extra money for sure!