• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hey y'all. I was thinking about picking up this rig for $5800. What all would go into adding a back seat?

silentmike

Basic User
City
hilliard
State
Oh
Basically this thing was once chopped up they turned the bed into a dump bed. Then the current owner got it and restored the back end, beefed up the frame and added a bed. Would I just add a roll bar back there and a back seat or what would all go into it? And obviously, is the $5800 a pretty good price? I would think it is, but y'all are the experts.

Attachments

• 69026353_10104486830492794_235459633404182528_n.jpg
    69026353_10104486830492794_235459633404182528_n.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 68345829_10104486830762254_3896595094882484224_n.jpg
    68345829_10104486830762254_3896595094882484224_n.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 68657753_10104486830612554_8663937836287787008_n.jpg
    68657753_10104486830612554_8663937836287787008_n.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 63

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Hi Mike,

Without a more detailed description, and a lot more photos, this is going to be tough to evaluate... but I've got a few initial thoughts:

1. This might not even be a Scrambler. It could be a CJ7 stretch gone bad (check the VIN).
2. Half of the body is homemade, and half of the frame is homemade, so it is not restorable by any definition. Any "Scrambler" collector value is out the window.
3. The running gear is really what you're buying... is there anything special about it? A 5.3 with an Atlas transfer case and Dana 60s might be worth the asking price, but a stock drivetrain, not so much.
4. If you want to buy this Jeep, I hope you're VERY confident in the frame extension, especially where the new tubing attaches to the old frame. Also, if it runs and drives to your satisfaction, I think $2500 would be a better target price.

What are you looking for in a Jeep?

If you really want a Scrambler, I'd say hold out and spend a little more money on a better example.

If you want a Jeep that you and your family can go out and enjoy today, I think $5800 could buy you a decent CJ7 or YJ that is ready to wheel.

Good luck! :cheers:

silentmike

Basic User
City
hilliard
State
Oh
Hi Mike,

Without a more detailed description, and a lot more photos, this is going to be tough to evaluate... but I've got a few initial thoughts:

1. This might not even be a Scrambler. It could be a CJ7 stretch gone bad (check the VIN).
2. Half of the body is homemade, and half of the frame is homemade, so it is not restorable by any definition. Any "Scrambler" collector value is out the window.
3. The running gear is really what you're buying... is there anything special about it? A 5.3 with an Atlas transfer case and Dana 60s might be worth the asking price, but a stock drivetrain, not so much.
4. If you want to buy this Jeep, I hope you're VERY confident in the frame extension, especially where the new tubing attaches to the old frame. Also, if it runs and drives to your satisfaction, I think $2500 would be a better target price.

Hey Thanks for the reply and honestly I am relieved to see you talk about the back half being "homemade". I talked to the guy and it looks like he had a reputable shop help him do the work, he had the invoices and what not for all the work done. He also said its definitely a scrambler and the title is as such but to your point, its a custom rig. He messaged me and said its a Dana 300 transfer case and a AMC 20 in the rear. He said it has 146k miles and he daily drives it. I let him know that I am passing at his price and he said if I brought $5000 this weekend its mine.

silentmike

Basic User
City
hilliard
State
Oh
What are you looking for in a Jeep?

I am looking for a pavement jeep but able to do light wheeling. It would mainly be used in the warm weather driving around town with wife and son (two year old). If possible it would be cool for it to be highway capable so I can drive it to work. Essentially a toy to beat around in.

edit: I should tell you that I have had a '78 CJ5, a '85 CJ10 and a 2003 Rubicon.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
...I should tell you that I have had a '78 CJ5, a '85 CJ10 and a 2003 Rubicon.

Ahh, so you know what you're getting in to... I feel better about that.

As to your original questions, you'll need to install a custom roll bar/cage. A stock roll bar won't fit over the custom wheel wells. A CJ/YJ back seat should be easy to bolt to the floor wherever you want it, and you'll want to be sure to add reinforced seat belt mounting points.

Have fun, take plenty of photos, and keep us posted! :wave:

Last edited:

silentmike

Basic User
City
hilliard
State
Oh
Ahh, so you know what you're getting in to... I feel better about that.

As to your original questions, you'll need to install a custom roll bar/cage. A stock roll bar won't fit over the custom wheel wells. A CJ/YJ back seat should be easy to bolt to the floor wherever you want it, but then you'll want to make sure to add reinforced seat belt mounting points.

Have fun, and keep us posted! :wave:

Will do. It seems all these scramblers are either rusty trash or 30 grand. I want one so bad.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
As you likely know with your CJ5, given their age, maintaining a stock configured jeep is challenging in itself, and a customized rig will increase those challenges significantly. From what I see in those pics, in addition to the altered position of the wheel-wells, it looks like the bulkhead is heavily modified and might be welded in place. That would require some creativity in safely positioning a rear seat (in addition to installing a roll bar). If you go look at it, take many, many pictures. I'd for sure be interested to see the extent of the frame modifications, how the two 'halves' are tied together, and how the bed is constructed.

From what I've been seeing in my searches here lately, most that come up in the 8-10k range do show rust and are overpriced, IMO. But have found a few reasonably priced. If this jeep gives you pause, I'm betting something else would come available that would present challenges, no doubt, but potentially fewer! :wave:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If you decide to get it, be sure the 6th & 7th digits of the VIN are '88' if you are dead set on getting a scrambler.

1JCCN88Exxxxxxxxx

1 = USA Built

J = Jeep

C = US Version

C = 258 ci I-6 Engine (Could be B = 151 ci 4 cylinder, '81-83; U = 150 ci 4 cylinder, '84-'85)

N = 5-speed manual (Could be A = Automatic, column shift; M = 4 speed manual)

88 = CJ-8

E = 4,150 lbs capacity

The rest are not really important unless checking to see if it matches the year claimed. (10th digit is year, B='81; F='85)

The bulkhead looks like a factory scrambler bulkhead, but that could be installed in a '7' as well.

I'd personally pass at any price unless you want a Jeep Truck. It really is not a scrambler at this point and is only worth what the parts can be sold for separate. (Then use the title to buy a new tub and frame and reconstruct a scrambler.)

If it is a scrambler, shame they did that to it. You could have just as easily started with a less desirable and less valuable CJ-7 and had the same end product.

silentmike

Basic User
City
hilliard
State
Oh
If you decide to get it, be sure the 6th & 7th digits of the VIN are '88' if you are dead set on getting a scrambler.

1JCCN88Exxxxxxxxx

1 = USA Built

J = Jeep

C = US Version

C = 258 ci I-6 Engine (Could be B = 151 ci 4 cylinder, '81-83; U = 150 ci 4 cylinder, '84-'85)

N = 5-speed manual (Could be A = Automatic, column shift; M = 4 speed manual)

88 = CJ-8

E = 4,150 lbs capacity

The rest are not really important unless checking to see if it matches the year claimed. (10th digit is year, B='81; F='85)

The bulkhead looks like a factory scrambler bulkhead, but that could be installed in a '7' as well.

I'd personally pass at any price unless you want a Jeep Truck. It really is not a scrambler at this point and is only worth what the parts can be sold for separate. (Then use the title to buy a new tub and frame and reconstruct a scrambler.)

If it is a scrambler, shame they did that to it. You could have just as easily started with a less desirable and less valuable CJ-7 and had the same end product.

So I was thinking about that. Maybe wheel this around for awhile then find a scrambler tub. I worry that the back end frame reconstruction has moved the factory body mounts. Attached is why they did this to her. Some hill william made it into a dump truck...

Attachments

• 68372838_10104487183939484_5331713126410747904_n.jpg
    68372838_10104487183939484_5331713126410747904_n.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 21

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
That frame reconstruction definitely moved the body mounts. The welds look a bit suspect. If you want a scrambler vin to use on a new frame and tub... I wouldn't buy this planning to drive your children around in though (unless just wheeling). I would wait and find something in better shape. Waiting and finding the right jeep will get you on the road faster and safer than getting one sooner that requires more work.