• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hi-Lift Jack mount

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
I'd like to mount mine on the role bar down tube. It needs to fit under a full top too. Anyone done that and have a mounting system that doesn't let the jack rattle?

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
There are several methods that have been done by folks here.
I just took an 8" (or so) stove bolt, inserted it into the stock spare tire holes from the bottom, put a nut on it from the top,
put a spare poly eurithane shackle bushing over it, put the Hi lift onto it & put a big washer & some big wing nuts on the bolt.
I need to devise a lock for it though..

it's very simple & doesn't rattle

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
which do you mean, the angled one or the vertical one?

I mounted mine on the top of the angled one by putting a piece of threaded rod through the lower hole meant for the spare tire holder, putting locknuts on the rod on either side of the rollbar to rigidly mount it.

Then I used another locknut and washer as a lower stop, slide one of the holes in the jack over the threaded rod and then use a short piece of heater hose, another washer and locknut to tighten down a little on the jack.

I store a couple of rags under the foot of the jack to keep the bottom from rattling around and use a bungee cord around the jack and rollbar right near the bottom to hold that end in place. I also put a hose clamp around the "bar" and handle to keep the handle from rattling.

Cost all of about $4 and you'd never know it was there... not one rattle. :D

Look on the left side of this pic (I was using duct tape on the handle at the time)...
PDRM0372.JPG

There's also another thread on this here

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
GreatCJ8 said:

I need to devise a lock for it though..

How about one of the laptop cable locks or bicycle wire rope locks through the holes in the arm? Certainly not theftproof, but enough to stop someone from just lifting it.

I did this to some degree by specifically using a locknut on top rather than a wingnut just so someone can't pop it off without a wrench/pliers.

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
Thats what I had in mind. Mounting it on the angled down tube going over the wheel well. It will need to fit under the full top too. I don't want to mount it on the outside for a couple of reasons. Theft for one and chiping it out of a block of ice at -40 here in Fairbanks... :-(

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
well to tell the truth, I was at the HW store & saw the wing nuts so I got em, for ease of use on the trail.. I still have 1 or 2 bigger battles before worrying about stuff on this level ;)

I like this bad boy for the handle:
p30812.JPG

-linky-

oh & thanks for posting the link to the other thread :)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I have my world cab over it with no problems...

I like that thing too Mike, but my $.20 hose clamp serves exactly the same purpose and, hey, it's an extra hose clamp! :D

I'm digging myself on heck of a hole with these cheap bastard tips between this and the dash lights, huh? :D

Last edited:

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
FWIW a 48" hi-lift will fit directly behind the front seats and the stock console. Mine has been there for years and it doens't move anywhere and it protected from the elements. I noticed that hi-lifts that aren't used much, are left outside and aren't lubed regularly get locked up and are hard to use. So I wanted to keep inside....

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
hilift jack mount

I used a 4X mount across the back inside the tailgate. bolted the mount to the tire carries braces inside. secure, does not rattle. Keeps my multitude of boxes trap underneith in a roll over

83scrambler

You call her scrambledegg
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
mines on my roll bar down tube, the weather does get to it but if you wheel without some extra Lube around your asking for more than a stuck HI-Lift....anyways i used some 3/4" thick bolts i found on the farm that were about 6" long. cut the heads off and weled one up close to the Mian bar then down near the foot of the downtube and ground the ends of the bolts so the oblong holes to the HI-Lift sat right down over the ends of the bolts. all you have to do is have the washers that fit the bolt snub and weld them up where you wnat the jack to sit and then make sure the jack slides down far enough over the bolts that you can drill a hole int he end of the bolt and put a lock in it. Works like champ!!!

You can kind of see what i'm talkin about here in this pic...i'll post another

83scrambler

You call her scrambledegg
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
another.. this is the lock its done just like the lower on inthe first pic....this mod take about a half hour, and its real easy to do given you have the tools

tom keyes

1981 CJ-8
City
Louisville
State
co
I have mine mounted inside of the Jeep. It is easy to grab and isn't in the way. I also store my axe and shovel on the other side in a similar fashion.

JEEPNJAX

Legacy Registered User
City
Magnolia
State
TX
AKCJ8,

Here's how I mounted my 60 inch for/aft over the wheel well. It fits nicely inside/under my full / half / Tonneau cover...

Good Luck,

Jax
JEEPNJAX