High back seats/ shoulder harness

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
white lake
State
MI
After getting hit by a crazy lady a couple years back, I have grown increasingly nervous about driving with my precious half back seats and lap belts. I want to add high back seats with a shoulder belt for safety. I know I can drill through the roll bar and retro fit a shoulder strap but I want to retain the ease of hard top removal.

Does any one know of a seat that has the shoulder harness built into it (aside from SUPER expensive racing seats) ?

thanks for any input you can give.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Attaching to the roll bar would be the most cost-effective (and secure) method. Hard top removal would still be easy, with just two more bolts to remove and replace.

If you don't want to deal with drilling, welding, and re-painting your roll bar, Rock-Hard makes some heavy duty clamps that fit our roll bars, to which the seat belt attachment can be welded. That is what I intend to do.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1300.htm

You might be able to retrofit some seats out of a later model extended cab pickup with built-in seat belts, but I think that project would be much more involved.... :shrug:

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
white lake
State
MI
And that is why we ask questions here. Cool option. How does the shoulder harness attach to the clamp?

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
You'd have to weld a tab or a bung to the clamp, for the seat belt bolt to thread in to. I have some of these clamps, and they have to mount about 1-1/2" lower than the stock seat belt bolt hole location (because of the angled part of the roll bar).

My idea is to weld a 3/4"x2" tab to the flat part of the clamp, that sticks up to the stock bolt hole location, then drill and tap a hole for the seat belt bolt. You'll have to drill matching holes in your cab top as well, but that shouldn't be too difficult to line up.

Regarding high backed seats... do you have long legs? If you currently have your seats slid all the way to the rear, you might be surprised at how far forward you have to slide to make high-backed seats fit! I'll be using shoulder belts with low backed seats.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I've got a 2002 Tahoe that has seats with belts. I'm planning on building an extended cab Scrambler and using these seats so I won't have to go the distance to find a roll bar attaching point. The seats are thicker than the Jeep seats and would leave you with less room to adjust back. Weather you use the clamps or weld the nuts to the roll bar, that's probably the easiest and more secure way to go.