• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

History Chanal TOP GEAR

cchambers

Legacy Registered User
City
Sioux Falls
State
SD
Now I admit I never have went on a off road trail but I have hunted most of my adult life.
I never left a truck stuck or trashed a truck or did damage to the outdoors.

Now with that said I just finished watching a show called TOP GEAR.
Where three hosts took 3 pickups that were 4x4 which they payed 3000.00 each for and had to set up to take into the wilderness of Alaska. The trucks were trashed by the end of the show.

To say the least the show made every person that owns or drives a 4x4 look like a moron.
I know the show is for entertainment but the 3 hosts portrayed people who drive on trails lead foot don't care about the environment red necks. I watched the entire show and got mad. I'm NO TREE HUGER I HUNT but at the very least I realise that you don't trash where you hunt,hike or drive off road. This show got me very upset.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
Well said... I couldn't agree more.:angry:

Who would drive a truck into a glacier and think it was funny?

cchambers

Legacy Registered User
City
Sioux Falls
State
SD
The way the hosts drove threw the streams with out checking how deap the streams are.

Ya driving into a chunk of ice backwards what was the point. Also why would run into another truck just to put dents in it.

Prohunter

Basic User
City
Valdosta
State
Ga
The way the hosts drove threw the streams with out checking how deap the streams are.

Ya driving into a chunk of ice backwards what was the point. Also why would run into another truck just to put dents in it.

Because they are retarded and retarded, sadly, gets ratings.

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
unfortunately another poor US version of a very good UK show (and one of the world's most popular shows, just not available thru our networks).. I get the orignal on Dish network via BBC America..

their version included a great trip through Bolivia in a Range Rover, Sammy, and FJ40 that is worth a watch..

also the trip through VietNam on Vespa-type scooters was very good...

I can't stomach the US version.. it would be bad even if you weren't already tainted by the original

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Also why would run into another truck just to put dents in it.

I could see Top Gear UK doing something like that... they ALWAYS prank each other on these "adventure" type shows.

Sadly, Top Gear US doesnt have a chance when compared to TG UK. Top Gear US is fighting a losing battle because every show they do, they are trying to BE Top Gear UK. Every one of their "adventures" this season, has been done on TG UK is some shape or form in the past.

TG US is trying to hard. Its that annoying kid that trys to be like the popular kid.

WillyT

Scramblered
City
chicagoish
State
IL
All three of the copycat shows (US, Australia and Russia) can't hold a candle to the original.

Like Bushmaster mentioned, the special they did in Bolivia was fantastic, so was the Arctic special.

And again, as Bushmaster said, it's only available via BBCAmerica. Even then it's a year behind schedule. If trying to keep current, you have to pirate them.

cchambers

Legacy Registered User
City
Sioux Falls
State
SD
Guys my point is top gear ( US ) the 3 hosts portrayed any responsible use of any 4x4 trail a sham. This is how off road trails get closed and why we got a BIG BLACK EYE in the non four wheel community from that one hour of mass media. Never underestimate the power of TV.

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
cc.. point taken on the irresponsible image portrayed..

unfortunately it doesn't take a national TV show to ruin that image.. every time I went trail riding in CO I'd end up making dozens of stops to pick up beer cans, trash, etc.. then I moved to FLA, and down here my only off-road outlet is at Eglin AFB, locally known as "the backyard"... it's downright embarrasing how poorly the trail system here is abused.. TVs, mattresses, tires, kiddie pools, you name it.. the hardest part to understand is that Eglin even allows it to continue... a local jeep club organized a cleanup as a good will gesture, which (reportedly) backfired and resulted in some trails being closed..

not to deviate from topic.. your point is valid, but there are 1000 redneck clowns down here (I can tell by their beer of choice.. Natty light) ruining the reputation of off-roaders for us.. as far as the destruction of vehicles, you'd have to see the original and the rather dismissive care taken to their "test" vehicles, the local (US) show is only trying to mimic that flippant behavior, rather poorly

Prohunter

Basic User
City
Valdosta
State
Ga
Hey, all rednecks don't drink Natty Light. I am a redneck and I drink Yuengling, when I do drink.:D

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
now wait a minute... (scratches his head).. I drink Yuengling too (identity crisis sets in)...

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
I prefer the term Appalachian American thank you very much.:D (opens a Yuengling and continues typing) Ive have spent countless hours trying to remove the given stereo type that all of those with the 4 wheel drive community are knuckle dragging rednecks.
The truth is the 4 wheel drive community is resposnible for more trail clean ups than almost any other organization,and there are numerous organziations fighting to keep our trails open.
Bad part is the greatest of intentions can lead to closures if not handled correctly. Best way we have found to do this locally is get involbed with the local forestry service that is responsible for the trails. This makes all the PR BS alot easier!!

For every 5 people who learn the 4 wheel drive community does more good than harm in most cases Ive probably got 10 that are gonna be hard to convince. . . but hey Im stubborn and passionate about the subject.:thumbsup:

OK off to check the instant netflix thing for more BBC episodes of top gear.Havnt seen the Brazil episode yet. (clinki clink clink grabs 3 more Yuenglings):cheers:

Last edited:

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Y'all do realize that Yuengling is the new Natty Light right? Just sayin'... :cheers:

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I had DVR'd it and watched it last night. I could not beleive how these guys set out to really destroy perfectly good vehicles. There were parts that were amuzing as entertainment but just as everyone else has said it made it look like that everyone that has a capable vehicle makes it a point to go out and tear crap up, trash up nature, dump fluid in rivers to kill everything down stream and on and on and on. There should have been a disclaimer saying that everything in the show was staged and that everything was cleaned up and left the way it was found.

Pathkiller

Legacy Registered User
City
Lorton
State
VA
Every one of their "adventures" this season, has been done on TG UK is some shape or form in the past.

TG US is trying to hard. Its that annoying kid that trys to be like the popular kid.

There's a very simple reason for that, it's produced by exactly the same people. Rather than create new material for the US version they recycled their old scripts and shows from the UK original. Why reinvent the wheel? Their assumption is they're reaching a new audience that isn't familiar with the original show (which I think is a flawed assumption, but never the less). They're not copycatting or trying to be the original, it is produced by the exact same production team with different on-air talent. Some of the scripting is using the exact same wording from the UK version. Some of the stunts are identical.

BigPumaRebel

Legacy Registered User
City
Brookshire
State
TX
i think though that if they do more of the SUV/Truck reviews like they did with the Raptor it has a chance to be more reachable to audiences here in the US.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
There's a very simple reason for that, it's produced by exactly the same people. Rather than create new material for the US version they recycled their old scripts and shows from the UK original. Why reinvent the wheel? Their assumption is they're reaching a new audience that isn't familiar with the original show (which I think is a flawed assumption, but never the less). They're not copycatting or trying to be the original, it is produced by the exact same production team with different on-air talent. Some of the scripting is using the exact same wording from the UK version. Some of the stunts are identical.

ok... let me go a little more into my comment... you are right with everything you said (I've seen all seasons of TG and all the specials multiple times, have them on my hard drive)

heres why i said "TG US is trying to hard. Its that annoying kid that trys to be like the popular kid."

all the "adventures" that TG UK did, were spread out over 15 seasons. TG US is doing all these "adventures" in their first season. There have been no real car reviews. (worth mentioning anyways) TG US is trying to get everyone hooked with their crazy stuff. TG (all off them) are car shows. thats what TG US is missing, the car part. sure, they review cars on TGUK, in a serious but sarcastic way, thats what makes it entertaining. TGUS needs to do that too if its going to survive. They are running out of adventures if they keep duplicating the TGUK ones.

Pathkiller

Legacy Registered User
City
Lorton
State
VA
ok... let me go a little more into my comment... you are right with everything you said (I've seen all seasons of TG and all the specials multiple times, have them on my hard drive)

heres why i said "TG US is trying to hard. Its that annoying kid that trys to be like the popular kid."

all the "adventures" that TG UK did, were spread out over 15 seasons. TG US is doing all these "adventures" in their first season. There have been no real car reviews. (worth mentioning anyways) TG US is trying to get everyone hooked with their crazy stuff. TG (all off them) are car shows. thats what TG US is missing, the car part. sure, they review cars on TGUK, in a serious but sarcastic way, thats what makes it entertaining. TGUS needs to do that too if its going to survive. They are running out of adventures if they keep duplicating the TGUK ones.

I agree. TGUS have no one who can speak with any real authority on cars. Their credibility is not there. Jeremy Clarkson has been an automotive journalist forever. But Tanner Faust? He's a driver in an obscure form of motorsport that few in the US have even heard of. Rutledge Wood is what exactly? Some sort of NASCAR announcer or something? And the comedian is just a little known standup with a bit part in a Dennis Leary cable tv show. Would I buy a car based on the recommendations of any of these three idiots? Never.

That said, I watched the Alaska episode last night for the first time and wasn't offended by it. Sure they drove like idiots and destroyed their trucks for no reason, but I found the show actually amusing overall. The Ford's driveshaft could have been fixed in under 20 minutes (something the original TG guys would do), and Dodge simply got wet from the idiot's blasting through water at high speeds. But otherwise I found it a very typical TG type of episode and very similar to the things the original show would do (and have done numerous times).