• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

holley injection

cj7berry

Basic User
City
rochester
State
nh
Does anybody have one of these on there 258. My brother bought one and I installed it ,correctly I think. The fuel pump has power but the injector isn't doing any thing. After checking all the different sensors and stuff everything seems to be in working order. The problem seems to be that the fuel pump isn't getting a crank single to run when the engine is cranking. Has anyone else had this problem. I think it has some thing to do with the pink wire in the harness. The directions say it goes to ground on one page and on another it says it should have 8 volts going to it when cranking. I'm ready to have him send it back and get a howell. Any thoughts on this would be great thanks Wayne

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
I do have a Holley Projection system on my 258. I would give their techs a call before you ship it back. The number is 270-781-9741.

Is the fuel pump getting any energy to it at all? I can't remember off hand but it seems like the green wire is what powers it. The ECU is hooked up properly?

I don't have my Jeep here right now but my system works great off road however it seems to be running rich on the highway when i open her up.

Let me know how things work out.

CJATE

R-u-n-n O-f-t
City
NAPOLEONVILLE
State
LA
I had a projection unit on a 258 and after a few years a problem like you describe occured. The ECU (brain ) controls the pump by varying the ground from the pump. First check to make sure you have power to the pump. Then check the pumps function: you can bypass the ECU by grounding the pump. My unit stopped suppling a ground from the ECU so I just bypassed it and ran a couple more years. This is also necessary sometimes when you want to prime your fuel line from an almost empty tank. Once you do this you will know if the problem is the pump or the signal between the pump and the ECU. Harold Off once told me that Projection units are very sensitive to having good grounds, so check all your grounds too.
Hope this helps.
Tim

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Hey Tim, let me fire off a question for you. Did you ever have a problem with your projection system running rich on you on a regular basis? I seem to be having that issue with mine. I have tried to dial it in with the ECU so it runs smooth but it still seems on the rich side to me. Is there any adjustments on the throttle body unit itself?

CJATE

R-u-n-n O-f-t
City
NAPOLEONVILLE
State
LA
Wayne:
There are two adjustments on the throttle body that may have an impact on your problem: the throttle position sensor and the fuel pressure. The TPS is adjusted on the passenger side of the throttle body and may have an impact on your problem, although I never had a problem with it, friends of mine have. Instructions are in your installation manual. If you don't have the manual I can give you the instructions or the Holley help line can. You will need a digital Volt/Ohm meter. The other adjustment is the fuel pressure. It has helped me get more fuel but I have never used it to get less fuel. The later throttle bodies have a cap over the regulator, if so you can easily pry it off with a ice-pick kinda tool. It is located on the cylinder to the rear of the throttle body and it is the highest point of the throttle body. The adjustmenbt takes a allen wrench. The factory says 15lbs, but I think anywhere between 13 and 18 works well. I used an in line fuel pressure gauge on the supply side. Unfortunately I have known a couple guys with brand new projection systems who could not get it to work due to running too rich. I hope yours is salvagable. Hope this helps.
Tim

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
HOlley Pro Jection Bigger?

I noticed that the Holley Pro Jection systems designed for Jeeps with 4.2L only have a 300CFM rating. That is the same flow as the original Carter.

Does Holley sell an upgrade that will get me 400cfm or so? Does the single barrel restrict so that large performance gains are not possible?

If you had to guess, what type of gains are people experiencing with this modification as opposed to the installation of a Weber Carb. There was a night and day difference in the power once I swapped out the carter for a 36/32 Weber. It almost seemed like I got about 25 seat of the pants horse!

What will fuel injection do for me? I don't beat the jeep offroad often, but occasionally, I will take it out and go up and down some pretty hairy stuff.

Should I upgrade my weber or not is the ultimate question! I'd like a little more power than I have, but this may not be the answer and I am not going MPI...i will swap the engine before I do that.

roddiaz1

Pieces of Eight
City
Baden
State
PA
Two things

Forttumately mine worked (on an AMC 360), but I was very worried for two reasons:

1) Those injectors are notorious for failing (new out of the box).

2) I was to measure the feul pressure BEFORE starting the system, then remove the fuel pressure guage, and operate the system. My concern was that I would no longer be able to know if the pressure was adequate once the guage was off.

As for the rich running system, are you running open loop or closed loop? I added the closed loop to the system and it went to "ideal" (not rich or lean) right away. I highly recomend it.

That's all folks,

Rod

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
The advantage to using the projection system is mainly off-road in my experiences. I have never had a Weber but i love the Holley off-road. I can be on all sorts of weird angles and it will still run, many carbs will cut out. If you are not doin much off-roading i would suggest going with a Weber. The Holley is not the best of the projection units, Howell makes one that seems to be better.

I have changed the return line to the fuel tank in an effort to reduce my "rich mix" problem. It seems to have helped a bit but time will tell.

Thanks Tim for your input on the tps and fuel pressure, i have been working with those deals for a while now with very little improvement. We'll see how the return line change works.