• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Horn relay?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Green CJ7 hasn't been driven much since the arrival of daughter #3 in July of 2019. My middle kid is turning 16 next month though, and she's set her sights on the green CJ.

We've swapped in a better driver's seat (old one had a lean, and likely a rusty frame), changed the oil, air filter, brake fluid, topped of PS and antifreeze, and greased it. She's pointed out that the horn no longer works.

I pulled the horn button and contact plate off. Slight surface rust but nothing that looks like it would keep the horn from working. I tried jumping the steering wheel nut to the button too, which I've learned over the years honks the horn. Nothing.

I looked for the relay that I normally can hear clicking under the dash, but this one has A/C and I'm no longer flexible enough to get under the dash on these things without a considerable recovery time.

Where is this thing in relation to the column? Closer to the dash or firewall, and is it around the fuse box or more towards the wiper switch and HVAC controls?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Check the horn itself, if you haven’t, I had a dead one.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Horn still works with + and - jumpers to it.

wildlifeguy

Basic User
City
Stephenville
State
TX
I know I'm a month late on this one, but if it helps anyone. My horn relay was hanging behind the dash very near the steering column. Hasn't had a horn working for several years. Jumping 2 contacts on the relay connector and horn honked. I put a new signal switch, horn button, and relay. I just heard a clicking when pressing the button. I got a mild shock each time as well before I put on the plastic button cover. I took the top of the column apart three times thinking it had to be a ground. Wiggled the relay a bit and works fine now. Must have been rusty contacts in the relay harness.