How can I remove my hard top.

79cvx20

City
Fort Worth
State
TX
How can I remove the hardtop for my 1982 cj8? I have removed a few sheet metal screws holding it on but it still won't come off without prying and I don't want to break anything.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
There should be some bolts along the lower edge behind the seat and sheet metal screws into the windshield frame.

79cvx20

City
Fort Worth
State
TX
You can't imagine how much I really appreciate your rapid response. I've been a mechanic for 56 years. I hardly ever work on Jeeps if I can help it. I'm trying to help my niece put her Scrambler back together after Larry Curly and Moe got a hold of it. Three different shops charged her $15,000 and it didn't run or shift when she went to pick it up after 6 years of waiting. I'm sure I'll get it done one of these days but there so many different ways to put the hardtop on. It was very poorly screwed on. Very confusing especially since this hard top already has holes in it for what looks like clamps. It doesn't look like they have been used but I'm sure she would like to be able to take the top off once in awhile which would be a nightmare the way Jeep put it together with just screws and a couple of pins. On another note, have you found a way to make the transfer case shift easier? This is a one-armed lady but pretty damn tough.

Attachments

79cvx20

City
Fort Worth
State
TX
After working on this for several hours retapping some bolts and just putting bolts and nuts on some other places this M.O.R.E. welded reinforced frame & steering box brace is almost imperative. They also let her run a long time on a very loose setting so the gearbox is pretty much trashed. Suggestions on that area would be appreciated also. It still road walks a little bit after resetting the gearbox about three times and setting the toe to about an eighth of an inch.

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I have both of those M.O.R.E. products.. Yes, they are good. Steering gear box? Redhead used to be good (not sure about not). My local Jeep guys say Lares is now the place where they get them...

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
After working on this for several hours retapping some bolts and just putting bolts and nuts on some other places this M.O.R.E. welded reinforced frame & steering box brace is almost imperative. They also let her run a long time on a very loose setting so the gearbox is pretty much trashed. Suggestions on that area would be appreciated also. It still road walks a little bit after resetting the gearbox about three times and setting the toe to about an eighth of an inch.
Is the Jeep lifted? You may need to check the castor and correct it. A few overall pictures may help with some ideas and suggestions.

City
Bridgman
State
MI
You can't imagine how much I really appreciate your rapid response. I've been a mechanic for 56 years. I hardly ever work on Jeeps if I can help it. I'm trying to help my niece put her Scrambler back together after Larry Curly and Moe got a hold of it. Three different shops charged her $15,000 and it didn't run or shift when she went to pick it up after 6 years of waiting. I'm sure I'll get it done one of these days but there so many different ways to put the hardtop on. It was very poorly screwed on. Very confusing especially since this hard top already has holes in it for what looks like clamps. It doesn't look like they have been used but I'm sure she would like to be able to take the top off once in awhile which would be a nightmare the way Jeep put it together with just screws and a couple of pins. On another note, have you found a way to make the transfer case shift easier? This is a one-armed lady but pretty damn tough.
Don't forget to remove the seatbelt bolts also.