How do you know when it is time to sell your Scrambler?

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I've been away for a while. I've neglected my Scrambler.

It has been more than 10 years since I got my Scrambler. It started out as two disassembled Scramblers that I drove all the way to Cabool, Missouri(700+ miles) to pick up. I did a frame off restoration including an axle swap and custom suspension. At the time, I loved everything about it. Working on it was a chore, but worth the effort. Since then, I have been blessed with three daughters. My free time is non-existent and my interests have changed. This past Summer(May), I tried to start the Scrambler after who knows how many months. Guess what? No fuel at the engine. I spent a few hours diagnosing a bad electric fuel pump. This past weekend I finally got around to installing the replacement pump and filter. No I have fuel again at the TBI. Unfortunately, it is bad fuel and my injectors are clogged. I sent the injectors off for cleaning and hope to replace the fuel before they return. That should get me up and running again. For what? I feel bad that I created this awesome Jeep and that over the course of 10 years my restoration has faded, surface rust has crept onto the undercarriage. I don't have time to use the Scrambler, and I really don't have time to refresh the restoration. What will be left in 10 years when my kids are all grown and hopefully out of my house? Will I want to use it then? Should someone that loves Scramblers more than me(at this time) have a chance to enjoy this great vehicle and all that accolades that go along with owning one? Will I forever regret not having my neglected Scrambler anymore?

This is the Sc Ramblings section? My post qualifies.

I will wait until the Scrambler is running again to make any decisions, but I am sure there are others among us who can offer advice on my dilemma.

Advice Please!

Thanks,
Tom

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I am in a similar life position, but even with no time and no money at the moment, selling things is not something I would want to do.
I don't get enough time to work on my rigs, or drive them (due to car seat needs with the kids and wife concerned for their safety), but I know one day it will work out that I will have more time and more money (hopefully).

I guess it comes down to your comment on "my interests have changed".
If you don't need to sell it because of money, then you are selling it because of another reason.
I guess getting to the bottom of what that reason is would help to benefit your decision making process.
Yes, leaving it sitting and trying to get it started only to find out you have issues can be disheartening, but if you put together a custom built Scrambler from 2 others, you had plenty more issues than a fuel system issue.

Will you regret it? Probably, most people do and those are the ones you meet that say, "I had a Scrambler once", I wish I still had it, etc. etc.

So, did I answer your question, no... probably not, but kids will get older and eventually move away, you can always get back to the Scrambler at that point.

cb

Julio

Basic User
City
St Charles
State
Mo
When I got my first Jeep, I built it to what I wanted. I got stopped in traffic all the time with people wanting to buy it on the spot with cash. That is the biggest compliment anyone can get.
A fellow Jeep owner once told me he regretted selling his and advised me not to do it. I sold it to a very good friend so I would always know where it was. Now my best friend owns it.
During the "down time" of not owning a Jeep, the habit of the Jeep Wave was built in to my DNA. I set out to look for another and found one that I have enjoyed rebuilding with my 5 year old. I cannot sell my Jeep again simply because I regretted it. Sometimes you hear things that other people say that don't hit home until it happens.
Tom82cj8, if you can sell and no part of you, not even your pinkie toe, can have no regrett, then do it. But if you have that slight regrett, it will eat at you

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
From experience, if you can afford to keep it, do so. I have gone through the life cycle of kids and "Time" for Jeeping. We purchased a brand spankin new CJ-5 V-8 on April 26 1973. Two young boys 3 & 4, that have grown and gone along with our daughter. All 3 kids have had Jeeps and my daughter still has the one we built together when she was 14. Our '73 Cj-5 (MrBeep) is still up and running, although It does a lot of sitting, I still get a thrill every time I climb into him. The Scramblers are much easier to get into and we have been taking "Blue" to the dunes the past several years.
I guess what I'm getting at is the thrill of your Jeep may set on the back burner for some time while family life takes over, but the thrill of having the old friend still around after they are grown is priceless. The comment "I wish I still had my Scrambler" is often heard, but I still haven't heard anyone say "I'm glad I got rid of my Scrambler".
Just my :twocents: worth, hope you are able to hang on to it. :wave:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Haven't heard form you in a long time, Tom. I remember using your build for ideas when I started on mine.

There is no easy answer. If you're looking for permission or absolution, you know that the Scrambler community will think no less of you for selling. If you're looking for "don't sell" advice, I'm sure there will be tons of that too. I fully understand the "interests have changed"- I built my Scrambler when I thought I wanted a rock crawler- but physical issues and a mental change of heart make that no longer an interest to me. So I have a Scrambler that flexes well, handles like mush, and is very fast. At the same time my wife hates riding in it, and therefore it is now my commuter car. :( At the same time, I know what I want to do with it- link the suspension and make it a good handling prerunner style vehicle. But, and there's always a but- I now run my auto business out of my garage, and have no room to work on the Scrambler. And, after spending the week working on other people's stuff, I don't really want to spend the weekend working on my own, so I've rekindled my interest in guns.

Anyways, how does any of this apply to your situation? For me, I know that the Scrambler is a vehicle I'll have forever, even if there are periods of time when it gets ignored or pushed aside. I truly love it, and I know that it's a never ending project. But the main thing- I know that my Scrambler is mine. Can't just go down to the corner lot and buy one, heck, can't buy one period unless someone is willing to sell. Guys driving 100k Mercedes have nothing on my Scrambler, all it took was a single check to get their ride, or another just like it. Mine had to be built, and I was the one that did it. It's not just a Jeep- to me it's a lifestyle, a statement on who I am and on how I want the world to see me.

I'm guessing some of this rings true to you also, or at least did when you were building your Scrambler. Maybe try and find that again, or at least acknowledge that there's a possibility. Because if it's not a financial need, I guarantee you'll wish you never sold at some point. It's not costing you anything to just let it sit, so let it. And imagine how you would modify it to fit your current needs...may be the start of something...

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Great advice from all. Keep it coming. I don't need to sell. Just feel like I am letting my Scrambler waste away.

City
chapin
State
sc
to the scramblerpro named tom,

I m struggling w/ the same issues..... but my quandary is that I have a '83 stock scrambler w/ original paint in great shape and an '84 that's slightly modified/painted and a nice wkd family woods cruiser. I struggle w/ the decision to keep the stock scrambler although its worth more...slightly lifted/modified scram gets more use...stock sits there due to the fact that its not very family friendly. so, are 2 scrams better than one? should I keep the stock and sell the modified? or vice versa? how much is excess? I m leaning towards keeping both b/c as I see it, they should continue to keep their value or appreciate.... and possibly the kids may someday get some enjoyment out of them....not meaning to hijack your thread..but dealing w/ the similar issue... however, if I only had one, I would keep it....it provides enjoyment to me. this feels like a depressing dear abby column.

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
Tom,

I am 64 years old and I own one of rarest Fords built. A 42 Ford Convertible that I have been working off and on for 17 years. Is it finished - No. Does it run - Yes and no. Let you figure that one out.

My wife asked me 5 years ago what I was going to do with it. My answer was, "Just work on it as time and money allows."

Yes, I could sell it. However, It is worth more to me to keep and play with occasionally. Just like your Scrambler, its not losing value.

Ultimately, what is your priority?

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Had to reply to this one...

I am probably almost over the hump that you are facing (my kids are in middle & high school) and am starting to see that I will have a little more time on my hands in the near future. I found that my interests have not really changed, but more that my priorities changed and rightfully so.

If you are questioning whether you'll have some sellers regret, then you probably will. If not, hard to say. As others have mentioned, if you can afford to keep it, maybe try that avenue for a while. Throw some lesser expensive collector car insurance on it (Hagerty for example), and drive on Sundays to the ice cream shop to keep the fluids fresh.

84scramblertex

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richardson
State
TX
Tom,
I have three project vehicles and 3 kids. My Chevelle has been off the road for over 2 years now. With a 14 year old boy and 11 and 5 year old girls time in the garage is quite limited. My son is turning into a pretty good gearhead so we use that time to work on the vehicles. My 11 year old loves to help clean and work on things and my 5 year old simply loves hanging out in the garage with us. See if you can have the kids involved and interests change. I have had a bunch of vehicles that I let go. There are 3 previous ones I wish I had kept. Like Julio said, if there is even a tiny bit of regret then hold on to it. Being in the situation where you do not need to sell is a good place to be.

City
Hammonton
State
NJ
I've been struggling with the same dilemma, though I've arrived here by a very different route. I've had my 8 for nearly 28 years, so it was very young, very stock and very clean when I got it. I basically modified it whenever I broke something, and I broke it a lot. The only thing that has never been touched is the body, and now it needs help. Every time I set aside a little cash, something house or kid related comes up and takes away that cash. Money is tight, garage space is tighter, and my kids are screaming for dirt bikes. I've come to the conclusion that I'll never get the needed work done, so I know I should just give up and sell it. However, I just don't think I can do it. I actually put it on CL last spring, but when my brother and my son questioned me, that was all the excuse I needed to pull the ad. I get the feeling I'm just going to keep wheeling it until it disintegrates into a pile of dust......unless I go first.
So, unless you want to end up like me - enslaved to a hunk of metal in the garage, moving it from home to home, and buying insurance while questioning your sanity, you should pull the trigger now. Unless, of course, it is already too late for you. :rolleyes:

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Pumped out the bad gas tonight. Put 10 gallons of super in the tank along with some Stabil. Ready to see what happens when I get the injectors back. Should be running again by Thanksgiving.

All the advice has been great. It definitely sounds like I should keep it if I can.

Thanks,

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
Get it going again and make a point to drive it once a month. Even if a short drive. Every time you do you will not forget your connection to it. If you have to sell it down the road you won't have a problem selling a scrambler.

BigwoolyD

Legacy Registered User
City
Athens
State
AL
Great advice from all. Keep it coming. I don't need to sell. Just feel like I am letting my Scrambler waste away.
Don't really have anything to add as I am facing the same decision with my commando. Read your comment about wasting away and this picture came to mind.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Don't really have anything to add as I am facing the same decision with my commando. Read your comment about wasting away and this picture came to mind.

WOW!!!! Look at those grill extensions!! They look like new. I think it can be saved! :wave:

Julio

Basic User
City
St Charles
State
Mo

Where was that picture taken? My fathers green commando after he sold it became rusted and put away. Been looking for it

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Ha, ha...I love that picture of the Commando!

My advise is to you is to sell it, since it's just a material object and you can always buy another one in the future, if you so choose. Scramblers are rare, but not so rare that you aren't able to find at least a dozen for sale every day. If you built one once, you can likely build another one even better in the future. The opportunity cost of your money sitting there in a material possession, that is wasting away, is expensive and you've already lost 10 years. Dump it and don't look back.

I've never hemoraged or pumped excessive amounts of money into my Jeeps, and that is my saving grace. Otherwise, I'd have likely sold out years ago. Although, I do still use my Jeeps sparingly, I am able to properly store them and I live in a climate that is friendly to sheet metal. If under other circumstances, I wouldn't hesitate to sell any material possession I own, no matter how attached these items were to me. There are much more important things in life. Especially vehicles that continue to consume expenses, whether they be registration and plate taxes, maintenance or poor fuel economy compared to modern day disposable vehicles.